Hardware > Lynx Freestyle

questions

(1/4) > >>

joshuashu:
ok, is the lynx express compatible with LOR  using a dmx dongle or do i need to use LSP?  I am debating between the express and the freestyle. with the freestyle i need to use the ssrs and each one needs power provided to it correct? so if i use the express i don't need the 4 ssrs so wouldnt the cost be cheaper for the express seeing it would be about $65 through the coop?

WWNF911:
Yes but most don't really look at it from a cost point of view.  The Freestyle is a GREAT controller and suits the buyer well who wants his electronics next to the command Center in the Garage/control room etc. The express (also a GREAT controller) would be out in the yard uaually (unless you're just gonna run a HUGE amount of power cords. NOT recommended) So, the difference is running power/signal to an SSR in the yard or having you controller with onboard SSR's out in the display usually close to the group of lights it controls.

I hope that helps

Leon

WWNF911:
Oops,.. almost forgot. Yes on the Freestyle and LOR. Someone here has already done that and has it working.  :)

I can get you the name if you need it.

RJ:
Actually, a number of LOR users are now usnig the LOR, Lynx dongle, Express combonations.  Yes most current LOR units can operate on DMX so you can use a Lynx dongle to run them from Vixen, LSP, or any other dmx capable software and hardware. I will be demoing all this at the Florida Mini and will make sure to post the video when it's done. It all about which controller suits you and what you are doing. There are no right and wrong controller if it does what you want and you are happy it is the right controller.

RJ

mschell:
I think it needs to be made clear how the DIY products can be used with LOR hardware and software.

If you use the LOR dongle and LOR software to talk to LOR controllers, you're talking LOR protocol on the wire.  To use DMX based controllers like the Lynx Express or Freestyle from LOR software, you would need to have an LOR iDMX1000 to talk to the Express.

Now, if you're using LSP or Vixen, you could talk DMX from the USB-DMX dongle to both the Express and any LOR controller, since the LOR firmware on a controller will accept DMX and respond correctly.

I don't know the LOR software well enough to know if it can put out DMX protocol natively, but I doubt it.

It's also important to know the difference between the USB-RS485 dongle and a USB-DMX dongle.  I believe the dongles that LOR sells are all USB-RS485 and are serial, not DMX.

This is the way I understand it.

Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version