Author Topic: Power Supply  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Nonamefril

• No really,I have no idea what Im doing
Power Supply
« on: March 24, 2013, »
I'm curious at what kinda power supplies some of yall run on DMX....Ive split mine up in little segments on mine to 5amps/60 watts per area,I wondered if any of yall did bigger power supplies say 12amps/150 watts and ran several areas.Im pretty much curious the pros and cons of bigger power supplies to little power supplies.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Re: Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, »
I have 3 750w Mastercool and 2 500w Antec. All have worked well for me. Except the 1 Mastercol that I way overloaded by accident and let the smoke out!  <fp.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, »
All my DMX is AC powered thru LEs.  What are you referencing?  The only power supplies I use are for my DC smart strings.  btw this topic should probably be in the porch area.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Nonamefril

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, »
Well like my dumb strings and dumb nodes......I have the house lined in LED strips and I have some LED nodes on a few other things....I have stepped into Pixelnet.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, »
I use waterproof 45w power supplies, both to enclose within coroplastic light elements, and to use as injectors into my DMX cat5.

When doing pixelnet with a hub, I use larger computer power supplies because I can place the hub and power supply into a waterproof enclosure.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline animal

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, »
This is what I used For my active hubs and 750 watt atx power supplies. It's just a battery box from wally world and plastic diffuser for drop ceilings with some 1/2" pvc pipe for legs. This worked great for me being 2012 was my first year with pixel net. I'm building 3 more for this year.

animal

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, »
Very clean Animal! Looks great.

Offline txburr

Power Supply
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, »
Very cool idea and looks good.  Thanks for sharing

Offline Nonamefril

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, »
That is awesome.....just what I needed some inspiration :) for my power supply mounting

Offline towtruck

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, »
Thats looks great.

Where did you get the power cord socket you mounted on the box (picture 3)?

Thanks,
Steve

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, »
I like the grid, but it is expensive if you have to buy a whole piece.  More than the cost of the battery box.  I cut two left over pieces of pvc to fit into the grooves inside the box and screwed the board to one of them and put zip ties around the other since the holes did not line up.  My power cord just goes over the top with the coax cables.  No hole to cut and not other part to buy.

But my question is how did you mount the grid in the box?
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline animal

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thats looks great.

Where did you get the power cord socket you mounted on the box (picture 3)?

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve, I tore them out of some old power supplies I had. LOL. You can get them from mouser.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I like the grid, but it is expensive if you have to buy a whole piece.  More than the cost of the battery box.  I cut two left over pieces of pvc to fit into the grooves inside the box and screwed the board to one of them and put zip ties around the other since the holes did not line up.  My power cord just goes over the top with the coax cables.  No hole to cut and not other part to buy.

But my question is how did you mount the grid in the box?
Hi jinealand, You can see in the first picture, I just screwed some 1/2 pvc caps to the bottom of the grid,then 5" 1/2 pvc pipe and just pushed them into the caps, no glue. The whole assembly just sits down in the box. You have to arrange the wires around, but it just sits in there. Easy to take out if need be.

animal