Author Topic: Programmable bad node on flex strip both SSC versions (firmware fixed it!)  (Read 1155 times)

Offline tallan

• Christmas with the Allans
Hey Everybody,

Ok so I diced up my first flex strip and all was looking good, I saw one bad node and thought no big deal. So I run some of last years sequences just to gawk at my new creation and the bad node moved. What I did was change the direction of node 1. So I do it again and the bad node moved back to where it was, seems it likes channel 7 and messes with channel 6 as well.

Anyway I flash the controller with the SSC version 1 firmware as that is what I am testing with at the moment and it did not correct the issue. I was wondering if you have any idea's as to what is going on with channel 7? I guess something is going on with that channel somehow but when I change direction it moves to a different part of the strip so I guess the strip is good because the parts that were bad work correctly when I change the direction.

I can post a video if you wish, really strange and not sure what to check now. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ted

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, by tallan »

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
Programmable bad node on flex strip both SSC versions
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, »
Can you post a video on Vimeo and link it here. Also I had a similar issue last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline rm357

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, »
By change direction, I'm assuming in the ssc setup.
What are you using to test with? Vixen, LSP, ???

If you have another ssc, try programming it the same and see if the two behave the same. If they act the same, most likely it is an error in the sequence running on the computer. If they behave differently, it is possible that there is a bad memory location in the pic controller... Unlikely, but possible...

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline rm357

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, »
Oh, i just remembered something... what dongle and firmware are you using and what is the exact address?

There is some etherdongle firmware floating around out there that has an issue with boundary pixels - pixels that get split across the e1.31 universes. Those boundaries exist every 512 addresses - 512 to 513, 1024 to 1025, etc.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline onesmoothhead

That is why I was asking, but I know the new Ed firmware in the wiki is ok now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline tallan

Hey thanks for the replies!

Alright so here is what I did and what I found.

My setup is Vixen 2.1.1.0 and I am using an ether dongle from last year so the firmware is almost a year old.

I did come and do a search here first and did not find anything related to what I was experiencing so I posted.

So I get the flex strip out and reprogram and old scc version 1 on channel 1 to make sure the strip was good, it was and I saw no problems. Turns out channel 1 is a good channel as I forget to change the channel while programming it one time and it worked great!

So I wanted to slip this ssc in at channel 3910, I started my ssc stuff at 1000 and have 8 running fine last year which ended at channel  3903 as they are in hybird mode.

I put together and tried a SSC version 2 and got the same results where the pixels would stay lit in different spots depending on the channel. So I was uploading a video showing what was happening when I went out and walked the channels trying to get it towards the end when I hit channel 4100 and notice the whole string lit up purple I think so I bummed it up 1 at a time and it was lighting the whole strip a different color until 4103 which did not light anything!

So Perhaps my ether dongle needs a firmware update? It does cross a boundary pixel.   Hmmm, perhaps all those dim lit pixels on my strings last year were from that as I know I crossed a few universes and they all looked great running on a SCC at channel 1. DOH!!!!!  <fp.

I'll check it out and thanks for that info!!!!  LOL well I got real good at programming SSC's tonight  ;D

Thanks again
Ted

Offline tallan

Um Yeah,

That firmware took care of it and it's working great! That means all those strings that I thought might have had bad nodes may not be bad! :)

Thanks again for your replies!

Ted

Offline onesmoothhead

I am glad you have it fixed.  Good luck!