Author Topic: New to blinky lights, which software is best to run the show  (Read 4129 times)

Offline lightguy

Hi Guys, ok the LE kits are ordered in the coop, the DMX dongle pcb and case too, so now while I impatiently wait for the hardware I need to start thinking about which program should I use to run it all. I have read many of the posts about Vixen, LSP, Xlight and still do not know starting from scratch which is going to work best for a newbie. Any thoughts please, especially from others members who just recently got hooked by this hobby. I might add I am a lighting technician of 30 plus years in the fields of theatre/stage/concerts so running cue's for say a theatre show etc is childsplay to me on theatre consoles, putting a Christmas show together from scratch however is all new to me.
Thanks,
Gordon

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
This is going to sound like a cop out but. Only you can decide what is best for you.

Try LSP and Vixen to create a sequence. You can use them both without any hardware. See what you like

Currently xLights is only a channel tester and Scheduler.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
Check out both vixen and LSP. Vixen is free and LSP does have a free demo version.

Rick is correct, only you can decided which is best.

Whichever you choose there are forums for lots of help on each. Check out the vixen forum and the Lightshowpro.com
Thanks
Mike

Offline remixsam

I feel lost as well!  I just keep reading and re-reading the forums.. and hopefully something will click lol  good luck and let me know what you come up with!

Hi Guys, ok the LE kits are ordered in the coop, the DMX dongle pcb and case too, so now while I impatiently wait for the hardware I need to start thinking about which program should I use to run it all. I have read many of the posts about Vixen, LSP, Xlight and still do not know starting from scratch which is going to work best for a newbie. Any thoughts please, especially from others members who just recently got hooked by this hobby. I might add I am a lighting technician of 30 plus years in the fields of theatre/stage/concerts so running cue's for say a theatre show etc is childsplay to me on theatre consoles, putting a Christmas show together from scratch however is all new to me.
Thanks,
Gordon

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
There are some great Vixen video tutorials available. Here are some links:
Vixen Step 1 - Downloading Vixen and .net Framework

Vixen Step 2 – Installing Vixen and .net Framework

Vixen Step 3 – Setup Vixen for first use

Vixen Step 4 – Creating a basic Renard profile in Vixen

Vixen Step 5 – Selecting a picture for adjustable preview

Vixen Step 6 – Configuring adjustable preview

Vixen Step 7 – Creating a sequence

Vixen Step 8 – Assigning names and colors to channels

Vixen Step 9 – Creating a beat track

Vixen Step 10 – Basic sequencing

Vixen Step 11 – Ramps and fades

Vixen Step 12 – Mirror feature

Vixen Step 13 – Shimmer, Sparkle and Random

Vixen Step 14 – On, Off and Intensity

Vixen Step 15 – Chase

Vixen Step 16 – Wrap-up and Demo of Adjustable Preview

Vixen Step 17 – Changing channel order in Vixen

You can install Vixen and start sequencing even if you don't have any hardware.
LSP has some tutorials also. You can go to their website and look around - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For me, Vixen was a lot more intuitive. I tried LSP but I was so locked in to how Vixen does things that I couldn't get a grasp on LSP. I will try again some day

Hope this helps.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline Sabre03

Im in the same boat,  I played with Vixen and LSP.   the program I am most comfortable with is LOR.  For what ever reason it's just easier for me
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, by Sabre03 »

Offline tmtfield

Gordon,

I look at the software in a slightly different angle. I believe that we are going to see major changes in the near future and I for one would hate to be invested in the wrong camp when this happens. I would hang tight until the next best thing has been released and all of the bugs have been worked out.

If you have just ordered your first set of controllers, chances are you will not be dealing with that many channels. That being said, I would take a good look at Vixen. It does not have the bells and whistles of LSP, but will make a very nice sequence. The learning curve is very quick with Vixen, but not so much with LSP. The only real issue I had with Vixen is the reliability with the scheduler and I believe that Rick has a pretty good work around for that.

My 2 cents
Tim
Debating with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead

Tim

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
  • Jim and his sidekick Tiger
    • Wright's Lights
I am fairly new to DLA and I have a question that goes along with this discussion. I am probably going to show my ignorance - but - what is wrong with using LOR S2. I have used that for 2 years and am comfortable with it. I know that they are working on a very needed upgrade. I have a large investment in LOR controllers and a large investment in sequencing with S2. I don't see anyone suggesting S2. Is there a reason that I have not figured out yet? Please don't flame me. This is an honest question and I am hopping for a real answer.
Jim Wright

Offline Sabre03

LOR  s2 is what I'm playing with, and i really like it.  they are supposed to release a update so it can control DMX without using there IDMX  this will be my first year and I'm attempting 128 channels <fp.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
I am fairly new to DLA and I have a question that goes along with this discussion. I am probably going to show my ignorance - but - what is wrong with using LOR S2. I have used that for 2 years and am comfortable with it. I know that they are working on a very needed upgrade. I have a large investment in LOR controllers and a large investment in sequencing with S2. I don't see anyone suggesting S2. Is there a reason that I have not figured out yet? Please don't flame me. This is an honest question and I am hopping for a real answer.

I can tell you my reason. I have NO LOR hardware, there is no reason from me to buy their software to run hardware it wasn't design for. Also I try to watch my hobby spending so a free program like Vixen is all that I need. Of course I am hoping a new version of Vixen comes out and that xLights has a sequence option this year. Also SS won't work with LOR S2 nor any dmx hardware without the very expensive idmx thingy

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
As others have said, only you can really decide.

I'm from a 3 year LOR background, so I really do like LOR S2 and understand it and can be effective with it.  Its fast and reliable and simple with some quirks.   It's quite advanced compared to what it used to be.  That said, I'm trying to discover (teach myself) LSP and hope I can, because I like all the DIY hardware options it allows and has better RGB support and other cool tools.

The main players (in consumer grade) lighting software are:

(1) LOR S2 (Light-o-rama) - primarily what most LOR users use, also supports D-Light, Dasher, X10, DMX (via. the iDMX1000/via. hardware not software)
(2) LSP (LightShow Pro) - a newer product with lots of hardware support and some more advanced features, better RGB and RGB matrix support
(3) Vixen - the primary DIY sequencing software, some are moving towards LSP, has an amazing arsonal of plug-ins and add-in(s).
(4) xlights - can not sequence, A cross-platform Christmas light show scheduler built on wxWidgets. Plays Vixen and LOR S2 sequences. Compatible with LOR, D-Light, DMX (no iDMX req.), and Renard controllers.
(5) Aurora - was primarily associated with D-Light, not sure where its at lately
(6) SuperStarLights - kind of niche product to perform RGB matrix sequencing, which is then exportable to back to LoR S2.,  Kind of fills a gap in the current LOR S2 RGB capabilities.

Generalizing here ...

if your primarily a DIY'r -- you'll typically use 3,2 and sometimes 4.

If you primarily a LOR only user -- your use 1 and sometimes 2.  You can also use 4 if you want to run all DMX and have a DMX dongle.  no iDMX is required).

If you use LOR and DIY gear, then your generally going to be using 2 and sometimes 4.  Some sequence with 1 or 3, then run shows using 4.

If you use D-light only, you probably use 5 or 1.  You might also use 2.

If you use a mix of D-Light and Lor, you likely use 1 ... and possibly also 2.

IMHO, Vixen and LOR are the most refined and stable.

IMHO, LOR is stable, fast (even on slow machines), but the features a bit less advanced than say compared to 2.  LOr is working on a better visualizer and promising
better RGB support and perhaps DMX support in software (instead of just hardware via. iDMX)

IMHO, LSP has the most features and best overall hardware and protocol support, but downsides might be slower  (needs faster machine), less refined in places, scheduler stability,
better visualizer.  Seems to import/export between LOR and Vixen best.

Vixen can do it all, and it is the DIY sequencing software most used ... and offer lots of add-on capabilities, but is awaiting a major rewrite which could place it at or near the top.  It is well supported and bleeding edge supported from the DIY crowd, which never cease to amaze.

LOR, VIXEN and LSP are all working on new versions which should be better than the current version.

RGB support seems best in LSP (2) currently, then Vixen, the LOR.  I may be wrong on that.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline tpctech

Hi,

I started with a DMX theatre light console and midi sequencing software about 8 years ago.  I then got into LOR (pre idmx!).  I really like LOR and have no real desire to change until something really changes off "grid".  I have direct access to many expensive pro lighting toys (I am a ETC certified field service tech by day!) but I really like LOR. It is very stable software and never requires a "reboot" no matter what I do with it or my show computer!  I run a mix of LOR and many Lynx DMX controllers.  Currently I do this with an iDMX (I own 2 main and backup!).  I will probably exceed 1 universe this year.  I have been playing with xLight which will read my LOR S4 sequences and output them to both native LOR and DMX without a iDMX.   I am going to stay with LOR and wait and see what happens.  Smart strings have caught my interest and I hear that xLight will probably be able to control it soon.

Just another sequencer!

KEN

PS I have vixen running on both my show computer and laptop to play with!

Offline JimWright

• Patron Member
  • Jim and his sidekick Tiger
    • Wright's Lights
Wow! I am i awe. Taybryann's account is the best that I have seen. I am basically a LOR guy and moving fast to DIY because of the cutting edge RGB technology.. That is why I keep asking the questions. Thanks for the great layout of capabilities. I guess that I will just have to wait until all of the software upgrades come out and make the decision then (I wish that weren't true). The problem that I have had with Vixen is that I have never been able to get it to install and run properly on any of my computers (XP and Win 7). I guess that I am just unlucky since I know that many others (including a friend of mine) have had no problems. Thanks.
Jim Wright

Offline meman

LOR = $140
LSP = $80
Vixen = $0

2010 was my first year sequencing. After getting some of my Dongle & LE soldering done, I naturally wanted to make the  lights blink, so I loaded up Vixen. It worked fine, but seemed it would be very labor intensive to do a whole song. After watching some of the LSP vids, I thought that was surely the way to go and forked out the money. A couple weeks later I still hadn't made much progress in LSP, so I revisited the Vixen tutorials listed previously in this thread and decided to give it another try....it was like night and day.  All my sequenced for 2010 were done in Vixen. I'm not going to say it went quickly because I was continually tweaking patterns that I had already created, but  it was easy to understand and I had complete control of everything I wanted to do.

As for stability, I've been running the 2.5.0.8 release just  fine on both XP and Vista machines. The scheduler ran my show nightly for almost  two months straight  and never skipped a beat.

Mike  E,