Author Topic: Remote controlled LED bulb from Lowes  (Read 4086 times)

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
Remote controlled LED bulb from Lowes
« on: July 16, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This thing is interesting. Anyone own one? What do you all think the odds would be that we could take one apart and use it to send data to some rigid LEDs? I thought this would make awesome under cabinet lighting in the kitchen.

Offline rm357

Re: Remote controlled LED bulb from Lowes
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, »
Do a search on the alibaba web site. They have these controllers for the rgb type led strips.
RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, »
Now why didnt I think of that. Tell me this would not be some awesome under cabinet lighting. Now just at conductor to it and we really have something to smile at  ;D

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, »
Im overwhelmed looking at that site. If anyone happens to see something that would fit my bill in a quantity 1 piece please let me know. I need a total of 10 feet of light (rigid or flex) and a simple to use remote preferably RF.

Im thinking something like this.

But wish it were RF instead of IR.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, by fertsy »

Offline tng5737

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, »
The flex strips generate a surprising amount of heat and might not be the best choice for say under a cabinet.  Might look great for bar lighting, though!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, by tng5737 »

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, »
Well thats good to know...Are you talking like fire hazard or just heat up the kitchen heat?

Offline tng5737

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, »
...Are you talking like fire hazard or just heat up the kitchen heat?
Nothing quite so drastic - it is just that at full-on white they generate some heat.  Heat will dry out wood and over time might damage your cabinets.    I would suggest you buy or borrow a set and give them a try and form your own opinion.

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, »
brand new remodel.... might not be a good option then lol

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, »
Another thing about under cabinet lights is to never put anything that might be affected by heat on the bottom shelf - like chocolate candy.  Ask me how I know.  LOL
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, »
From what I heard today at work and what you all are saying it leads me to believe that all under cabinet LED lights produce a good amount of heat. Does this sound accurate? Sounds like it might have something to do with the transformer or something that produces the heat.

Offline tng5737

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, »
Not just the transformer, but also the lights put out heat.  The 'can' lights typically used are abt 20-25w each and the have a metal can to help dissipate the heat.   It might be worth your while to make a trip to your local lighting store (or Lowes or HD) and actually feel how warm some of the different lights get.  They also have some led products you can check out.   What I am saying here is simply that the flex strings were designed for high output and high density (1" spacing) - just what you'd want for xmas lights, maybe not so much for under-the-counter lighting.   Take a look at the wiki for comparison.   You'll find that a flex string uses 3.96amps (33ma/node) or 47 watts.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, »
I started out with small round halogen lights.  Those suckers are hot.  I have since replaced all those with slim fluorescent tubes and they are much cooler, but there is a transformer in the strip so it still makes the bottom layer of wood in the cabinet warm - not hot like fire starter hot just warm.  but I do like the light that they give and would not go without
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, »
Another thing about under cabinet lights is to never put anything that might be affected by heat on the bottom shelf - like chocolate candy.  Ask me how I know.  LOL

I just had to ask...  "How do you know?" ;)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, »
I had a whole bag of chocolate candy pieces that became one big blob.  Now I keep my candy on the top shelf.  I still ate the blob.  Lol

I just had to ask...  "How do you know?" ;)
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, »
I am doing something similar to your cabinet lighting idea.    Planning on using these modules You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login    connected to    this controller    You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login........     and   power control using a Lutron switch....   (like this one  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login )    not remote but getting to the same place (i hope).

Picked up one of the "cheap" transformers from Aliexpress   to provide power to the string.   

SWMBO dictated no RGB... so sticking with warm white.   (sigh)...

Larry
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, by vairmoose »
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012