Author Topic: Reverse Engineering Gemmy Lightshow LED tree  (Read 4112 times)

Offline DanHouston

Reverse Engineering Gemmy Lightshow LED tree
« on: January 03, 2012, »
I have a couple of these:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I've seen that someone reverse engineered the signal for the GE RGB lights...I was wondering if anyone here understands that process so I could take a look at figuring out how to control the trees above. They are pretty neat on their own, and certainly have their place between shows, but being able to control them would be cool too....not to mention the experience of figuring out how they work. :)
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline rm357

Re: Reverse Engineering Gemmy Lightshow LED tree
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, »
Reverse engineering is basically analyzing the system to figure out how it works, then coming up with a something similar without ever seeing the original design documentation. I saw one of those trees at home depot, but thought the price was a little high. They went pretty fast though...

If you are not already well versed in electronics and have some computer programming ability, you are in for an uphill climb.

I would start by looking at how the thing is wired and watch the programming very carefully - that will help you to determine whether the lights are controlled directly or through a network of some sort.

If it is direct controlled, you will have to look at the number of channels and lights per channel and see if something like a MR16 could be used. If it is direct controlled, there will be a lot of wires coming from the control box.

If it is some sort of network, you need to figure out the communication protocol - either that or just replace all of the lights with smart strings... Assuming that it is a network, it may use one of the common chips, which would make things easy. If it is a 3 or 4 wire controller, You could just hack off the controller and substitute a new one. The E681 controller does several formats and also supports both 5 and 12 volt strings.

If it is a 3 or 4 wire interface and does not use one of the common chip types, you will need either an oscilloscope or a logic analyzer to look at the data stream coming out of the controller and try to analyze the data relative to what the tree is doing. One gotcha to look out for is string initialization. most of the strings do not require initialization, but the GE35 strings require each node to be given an address by the controller before they will operate.

Good luck!
RM

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, »
I thought they were pricey too, but got mine 2 years ago after Christmas so they were marked way down.

I'm pretty well versed in computer programming, but I'd say I'm fairly new to electronics.

I guess I need to take one apart and see what is in there. I guess I thought there would be some way of snooping the line to see what was being transmitted?
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline rm357

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, »
Without one to look at it is hard to say.

The fist thing is to find the control module. It could be a separate box or it could be in the conical cap near the star. The second thing is to see how it is wired.

Taking it apart is almost a requirement unless you can find where someone else has done the dirty work for you.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, »
Thanks RM. I'll take one apart tonight or tomorrow and see what I see.
2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline Titus

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, »
Hopefully it isn't like the GEMMY LED Strings.  For those, the program is stored and ran at each node.  The control box only sends a timing signal to keep all lights at the same point in the program.

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, »
I finally got a chance to take one apart....the top has a small board in and connectors for incoming power, each leg, and the star.

Each leg has what looks like a chip on it as well....I'm guessing the top is providing power and sending which program to run to the chips on each leg?

Here are some pictures....

2011 - Year #1
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    8 Songs sequenced