Author Topic: Dongle coop Question  (Read 5753 times)

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
Dongle coop Question
« on: January 05, 2011, »
I am new to DLA and just requested to have 2 boards in the dongle coop. I figured that  would give 1 active unit and one backup unit. I feel like I am under ordering the boards because there are numerous requests for 4, 6 and even 8 boards. With a $45 dollar parts list and enclosures still to buy plus the board building, I was wondering why people are ordering so many boards?

Could you guys help enlighten me on the numbers I am seeing?

Thanks,

Rich

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
Re: Dongle coop Question
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, »
I was wondering the same thing...I am no expert at all but I do know for sure that at least 1 back up is a good idea. Mine went out about 3 times this year.

The only reason I could think of multiples is if you are using more than one DMX universe (512 channels) or preparing for smartstrings. Although I am not sure if the smartstring dongle is the same board or not...

I am really just learning myself but here is my .005 cents (not even 2 cents worth.)

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, »
2 is a good start.  Some may be using multiple universes or Pixelnet.  For the shipping reason I got 4. It is nice to have an extra boards if you need them.  The only difference is board cost shipping is the same for 2 or 4 boards. You do not have to buy parts for all of them at once.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, by onesmoothhead »

Offline galgon

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, »
I am new to the hobby but I ordered 4.  I will probably only build one to start and build a backup one later.  The reason I ordered 4 is at the rate they are going it will only be $3 or $2.50 per board.  Shipping for up to 4 is ~$4.  For an extra $5 or $6 I will have 2 extra boards if something goes wrong and I can order the parts whenever (no need to hope RJ still has a board in stock).  Plus with my novice soldering skills I am fully expecting to break at least one practicing.  Plus I have ambitions to get over the 4096 channel limit for pixelnet on 1 dongle but that will have to wait till 2012.
- Joe
Bethlehem, PA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was wondering the same thing...I am no expert at all but I do know for sure that at least 1 back up is a good idea. Mine went out about 3 times this year.

The only reason I could think of multiples is if you are using more than one DMX universe (512 channels) or preparing for smartstrings. Although I am not sure if the smartstring dongle is the same board or not...

I am really just learning myself but here is my .005 cents (not even 2 cents worth.)

Why did your's go out 3 times? This is very odd for the dongle?

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline TAdamsOK

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, »
I need at least 2 for pixel control and I am pretty sure that is a good chunk of what is being ordered.  They are really meant for DMX and it has a very limited number of channels per universe (512 to be exact).

I did see the 16000 channel controller is in the works but I would like to get some proto types up and running as quick as possible this year.  And I don't have any patience when it comes to blinky.  Christmas is over but I'm more excited than ever lol.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, »
i'm requsting 6, but i might even more...  I want to get 1 (with maybe 1 backup) for pixelnet, i still want to play with dmx, as my only expierence has been with simple on/off circuits, and with this being modified for pixelnet so easily, i can see rj coming up with something-else-net   in the future...   nice to be able to play with all of the technologies.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, »
I like to have a few on hand to help out a friend or a new user when RJ is out.  Also thinking about the SS,s PixelNet dongle.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, »
I needed a backup and at least one for SS and one for a project at work

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, »
I have one already, and just requested 4, I only plan on building 1 maybe 2 of the 4, but if something should happen to one of them the I will have extra PCB's. as of 10:43pm Central Time I counted 204 so we should hit the 250 mark pretty soon lowering the price to 2.51 each that only $5.02 more for the extra 2 PCB's with no additional shipping as the shipping prices listed say it is for 4 boards.

Just Food for Thought

Scott
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, »

Why did your's go out 3 times? This is very odd for the dongle?

You tell me...lol.

Whatever was wrong was intermittent. You lead me to replace the silver clock thing that was not putting out the right volts. I did that and it worked for a week. then had the same symptoms. I would re-solder and it would work again for a week. I am sure the problem is me I just dont know where, lol.

Thanks for all your help and support RJ

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, »
Yes I remember now I forgot. sorry you had issues.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, »
Requested 4

1 - Pixel House
2 - Pixel Tree
3 - LE DMX
4 - (Spare)

No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, »
Requested 4

1 - Pixel House
2 - Pixel Tree
3 - LE DMX
4 - (Spare)

You do know that the PixelNet hubs can daisy chain so you don't need a seperate dongle for each display.  Now if you are going to use over 4000 pixels between the two of them then that's a different story.  As for the DMX, you could use a seperate dongle or you could simply get your DMX universe form one of the PixelNet hubs as they can output that for you as well.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, »
You do know that the PixelNet hubs can daisy chain so you don't need a seperate dongle for each display.  Now if you are going to use over 4000 pixels between the two of them then that's a different story. 

4000 pixels or 4000 channels?
4000 pixels would be 12000 channels.
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!