Author Topic: Is there an easier way to create custom shapes?  (Read 725 times)

Offline jwilliams31

• Williams Family Christmas Lights
I've got a large Mickey head "wreath" that I made, which is essentially three circles.  I was trying to figure out how to animate it in Nutcracker.  I could do it with three separate wreaths, but it wouldn't match the node order, unless I custom cut the strings.

Also, it doesn't seem like it's possible to make the custom model grid bigger, so it's really a pain to even try to "draw" Mickey.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline jwilliams31

Re: Is there an easier way to create custom shapes?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, »
Ok, well nevermind.  I found a somewhat easier way.  I did it in Excel first and then copied it over to the Nutcracker grid.

I actually got the idea from Sean's tutorial video.  He mentioned that the custom grid looks "Excel-like", and LIGHT BULB.

Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, »
cool, I am going to try that also.

Offline jwilliams31

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, »
Just shrink the cells down.  I just highlighted everything and resized the columns to 1.5.  Then I drew the shape out with x's first.  Once I liked the shape, I went back in and numbered it for the nodes.

Then just make the custom grid the same size (width and height) in nutcracker, copy and paste.

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, »
thank you for sharing. I will try it tonight.

Offline arw01

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, »
Got a screen print or two to show how this looks?   Have a hard time picturing this.