Author Topic: Questions about what is required  (Read 3284 times)

Offline tennhillbilly

Questions about what is required
« on: January 10, 2010, »
I just joined this board a few weeks ago and have been researching computor controlled lights . I have several questions am not sure where to post them I just ordered one of the Lynxx express on the coop. What else do I need to make this work? I have read about the dongle , Do I have to have one of these also? Also I assume I will have to have some type of software also? Thanks for the help!!

Offline memphislights

Re: Questions about what is required
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, »
You need a dongle, whether it is RJs, one from Enttec, or one from a DIYC coop.
RJ usually has a few dongle boards available, just PM him.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

A lot of people will start out using Vixen to sequence because it works, and it is free.  Light Show Pro is another option though.
It's not about more, it's about enough.

Offline tstewart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, »
Yes you will need a dongle to use the Lynx Express.  The dongle will connect to your PC and Vixen (if you choose Vixen) will talk to it.  The dongle will send out the DMX data to the express to make it work.

Send RJ a PM to get a dongle PCB.

Todd

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, »
Here's a good starting point

Offline satskier

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, »
I'm noob too.  Here is my KISS version of the beginner's wiki page.

1. Computer running Windows.
2. Vixen software.  You can download seuqences from the vixen site and from this site as well as other DIY sites. (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)
3. DMX Dongle.  I'm already building the LE, like you, so what not a big issue to add RJ's and I know it will work with LE. Others work too, but they are more $$. PM RJ
3.1 You will need a case for the dongle, it looks like a standard 2x3 project box.
3.2 You need the parts for the dongle there is a mouser list, but a couple parts are on serious backorder.
4. Cat 5 Ethernet cable to connect dongle to LE. (nearly all stores carry cat5 ethernet cable.)
5. Lynx Express (LE)
5.1 LE coop kit.
5.2 Case for LE (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)
5.3  potentially 2 power cords, 1 if you limit the unit to 20Amps. (I'm using only 1 12guage feed.)
5.4 16 output cords.  I don't have this element figured out yet.  I'll be protoing a couple options.
6. At least one string of lights to test each channel of the LE once built.

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, »
Sounds like a pretty good summary to me.  I will add patience, solder, soldering Iron (see the WIKI) and patience.

Tony
R,
Tony "C"

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, »
I'm noob too.  Here is my KISS version of the beginner's wiki page.

1. Computer running Windows.
2. Vixen software.  You can download seuqences from the vixen site and from this site as well as other DIY sites. (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)
3. DMX Dongle.  I'm already building the LE, like you, so what not a big issue to add RJ's and I know it will work with LE. Others work too, but they are more $$. PM RJ
3.1 You will need a case for the dongle, it looks like a standard 2x3 project box.
3.2 You need the parts for the dongle there is a mouser list, but a couple parts are on serious backorder.
4. Cat 5 Ethernet cable to connect dongle to LE. (nearly all stores carry cat5 ethernet cable.)
5. Lynx Express (LE)
5.1 LE coop kit.
5.2 Case for LE (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)
5.3  potentially 2 power cords, 1 if you limit the unit to 20Amps. (I'm using only 1 12guage feed.)
5.4 16 output cords.  I don't have this element figured out yet.  I'll be protoing a couple options.
6. At least one string of lights to test each channel of the LE once built.

3.1 Well there is a case so the holes in the pcb line up - Case (Choose Gray and put in the comments of the order "Make Sure it has the PCB bosses" ) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

5.4 - A lot of people use extension cords or spool of spt1 and plugs

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, »
I believe I still have a few Dongle machined cases with the all the holes cnc'ed into from the coop order for machined cases we did earlier in the year also if needed.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline tennhillbilly

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, »
Thanks for the replys to my questions. Now what is the perfered software for operating the lights, Vixen, Lightshow pro,or something
else. Which is the simplest for a dummy beginer to use? It all sounds complicated to me.

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

You'll probably find most people using Vixen, since it's been out for longer, and it's free.  LSP has some advantages, but it's up to you.  Both are being improved over time.  I currently use Vixen, though I also have LSP.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, »
Thanks for the replys to my questions. Now what is the perfered software for operating the lights, Vixen, Lightshow pro,or something
else. Which is the simplest for a dummy beginer to use? It all sounds complicated to me.

I have always been a firm believer that ALL software has some learning curve to it (well maybe not for young kids :D)
Like Keith said Vixen is free but LSP can be used on a trial period to see if you like that.

You can use both programs without any hardware attached to it. Just your computer and the program, of course songs (mp3, wav) help and for me a picture of where you are putting your light show on at (ie: front of your house)

At one time we all are beginners in light animation. I just finished my second year and I am still learning and getting better with it.
So my suggestion is to get one or both programs and just play with them. Start with the basics to understand the program. What I mean in the basics is start with just a few channels (16 or less) and set each channel on, off, ramps, fades

Take a picture of your house (I prefer Black/White) attach it to the programs preview, draw the channels on it (roof outline, icicles, trees, etc) set colors if you want (channel 4 Green tree).

Have fun

Rick R.

Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, »

Not to hijack this thread...

How many LE can be connected to one DMX Dongle?

thanks!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, »
3. DMX Dongle.  I'm already building the LE, like you, so what not a big issue to add RJ's and I know it will work with LE. Others work too, but they are more $$. PM RJ

Not to hijack this thread...

thanks!

One Dongle can have up to 512 channels. So 512 divide by 16 = 32 LEs

Of course you can add more dongles if needed :D

Rick R.

Offline Made2Rock

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, »

you can have up to 512 channels and I believe 32 devices. So if you were to hook up 32 SSR4 devices (4 channels each) you would max out DMX with only 128 channels. In the case of the Express you can 32 to a single DMX for a total of 512 channels.

NOTE: If you want more then 512 channels you can add a second dongle and create a second set of 512 channels.

One thing I saw missing is a radio. In most cases you'll want to transmit your audio which will require a transmitter. I went with the one RJ recommened in another thread and I like it. It interested let me know and I'll double check what it is.

Another point to the above is wireless versus wired. Wireless will cost a little more but will help reduce the number of wires in your yard.

Its all about money. You make it and we'll give you ideas on just how to spend it.  ;D

Born to Rock, but to old to Roll

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

To pick on Rick, that's only if each LE has different channels.   ;D  You could have more.  But then you're really talking a major light show, and more complicated lighting arrangements.  Stick with Rick's answer.   ;D

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues