Author Topic: Help with GFCI alarm circuit for LE  (Read 2872 times)

Offline gophergrove

Re: Help with GFCI alarm circuit for LE
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, »
Go with Tbones suggestion - don't buy anything new until you consolidate those GFCI outlets.  Figure out which circuits can be combined based on load - wire them together in a junction box fed by one GFCI outlet near the sub panel making sure to wire the downstream legs for protection by the GFCI outlet (replace unneeded GFCI with standard outlets).  Hopefully, as you expancd your show you will add/replace with LEDs so your power requirements will drop...

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, »
Yep I know it's over kill.  The first panel I put in was the 100 amp panel with most of the outlets.  Problem is it's in the back of the house and almost 100' from the furthest controller.  After that I got a little wiser and rewired the AC with a 40amp sub-panel before it.  Once that was done I put a 50amp in the front yard.

These are the things new people do when they don't fully understand what is going on.  The bad news is it was a chunk of money for outlets and 12 gauge extension cords.  The good news is I feel safe that it's more than capable to handle what I'm throwing at it even if somebody decides to turn all 100K lights on at once.

Offline magic8192

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, »
If you have 100k lights and they are all mostly mini lights, then your max load if you turn them all on is probably over 300 amps. 

I have probably done much the same as you and wired up the outlets/boxes to handle fully loaded LEs.    The plus side is that you don't have to worry about what you put on the LE as long as you keep it under 40 amps.  The downside is that the electrical wiring is overkill.