Author Topic: First two LEs built & working, but what's up with the data link light?  (Read 3090 times)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My build of 11 LE's last year had your same issue on some of the LE's. I had 5 of the 22  485 chips that acted that way.  It did not affect the data at all.

Putting a scope on the output of a normal 485 chip without a DMX signal shows the output is high or at the 5 volt level. on the 5 chips that would turn the DATA LED on the output would be low or < .5 volts.

Next adding the DMX signal to the LE to both chips did not make a difference in the DMX signal pattern.

As to the LED dimming slightly that would be normal on the 485 chips that keep the DATA LED on. that's because adding the DMX signal now is turning the LED off and on very fast with the 512 channel data stream 44 times a second.

Yes and the specs say they will always be high when the input is open. But not all of them always are. But that is getting off in techincal stuff best for out of the forum.

RJ

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline rm357

My comment about possible shorts on the traces is just looking for possible causes. After looking at one of my boards, even if those places were shorted, it would not cause the led to light up.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA