Author Topic: Illuminated Presents / Drums  (Read 2401 times)

Offline REM

Illuminated Presents / Drums
« on: June 06, 2009, »
Does anyone know of a decent-priced source for either the illuminated Christmas presents or drums?  I tried making my own presents and it was just too much hassle.

--Ron

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
Re: Illuminated Presents / Drums
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does anyone know of a decent-priced source for either the illuminated Christmas presents or drums?  I tried making my own presents and it was just too much hassle.

--Ron

Ron,

Could you elaborate on what things you tried and why they didn't work? I was thinking about doing this as well but don't want to go down the same path you did only to find nothing but problems.

Thanks,
-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, »
for presents, couldnt you use some pvc and put a box together and buy clear wrapping paper and put lights in it for illuminations?

drums is a different story, but the presents should be easy

--Ron

Offline magic8192

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, »
I bought some presents from Walmart in January.  They were $35 at full price.  If you are interested, I will drag em out and take some pics. 

Offline REM

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, »
I used a plywood square base and the rest of the cube was framed with the heavy gauge wire that you tension fences with - it's pretty sturdy but not quite enough without some reinforcing.  So I crisscrossed floral wire between the top and bottom corners to make it sturdy.  Then I lined lined the inside with a 100-count strand of minis wire-tied to the floral wires inside.  Finally I wrapped it with red cellophane.  You could see right through it no problem. 

I wanted more of a general glow but instead it was like you could see right through with a tint of red. So I put 2 and then even 3 layers of cellophane.  It still wasn't what I wanted.  A single bigger bulb didn't cut it either.  I also tried using a very thin white cotton material with the red cellophane on top of that. It was close but I didn't want to risk it catching fire or something.

Finally I gave up and decided I had bigger fish to fry.

magic, don't go to any trouble but I would like to see pics when you aren't busy.

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, »
what you want to do is keep the red cellophane on the outside, but spray on the inside a white base coat. Not too much or try fake snow spray. That way when light shines on it you see the red but cannot see through it  too much.

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, »
What about a  PVC pipe frame wrapped with choroplast?

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline REM

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, »
Not a bad idea knguyen916.  John, I think coroplast is really dense.  I'm not sure any light could get through that stuff although I haven't really worked with any.  If it worked it would be great though. Maybe I'll try to find some just  to see.

Offline magic8192

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, »

magic, don't go to any trouble but I would like to see pics when you aren't busy.

I will see about getting some pics up after dark this evening.

Offline 31swford

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, »
Darlene Pino did a great present out of recycled campaign signs.  She gave everyone at the Ga. mini handouts of how to do it.  She used these to hide her controllers but since it's coroplast you could punch minis through it if you wanted.  Basic idea is--4 campaign signs for the sides and two for the top.  She dressed it up with wired ribbon for a real look of a great present.  If you use virgin coroplast, you spray paint it with spray paint for plastic and viola-- present.  Don't know if you are a member over at Planet Christmas but if you are, I'm sure she would shoot you  one via the net!  She is the Coro Diva! Rhonda

Offline magic8192

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, »
Here are the Walmart presents.  Retail is $35. 

Those are Walmart mini lights behind them, to give a little perspective. I think the biggest one is 26" tall

Offline REM

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, »
Thanks for the pictures magic - not bad. And thanks for the info 31swford.