Author Topic: ssc v3 mod questions  (Read 2251 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
ssc v3 mod questions
« on: January 23, 2013, »
does the mouser BOM have the updated parts for the v3 modification? i have 16 unbuilt v2 pcb's that i am ready to start putting together and was curious if the updated parts were included in the BOM.

another question, if my v2 ssc's were working just fine, should i spend the time to mod them to v3?

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: ssc v3 mod questions
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, »
if you're going striaght from pcb to ver3 mod, remove the 47ohm resistor from the mouser BOM, and replace with a 330 ohm resistor.

cut your trace before you add parts.

adding the wire, i would do after the parts are on, since you're soldering to some parts (underside of the pcb to the socket.)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline zwiller

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, »
I do not think the BOM is updated for V3 since it does not have a 330ohm resistor listed. I think RJ plans to have new pcb’s/BOM made for V3.  I would just leave them un-modded if I had no issues with them.  Just make sure you keep using same firmware and programming utility, since there are problems mixing versions. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, »
I would follow the Murphy's rule.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.  :)

The V3 was developed because in some cases V1 and V2 didn't work properly. If it works as you expect then leave it alone.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The V3 was developed because in some cases V1 and V2 didn't work properly. If it works as you expect then leave it alone.

But a corollary to Murphy's rule would be RJ's rule -

If you want support from RJ related to an SSC, upgrade to the V3. :)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, »

But a corollary to Murphy's rule would be RJ's rule -

If you want support from RJ related to an SSC, upgrade to the V3. :)
+1

I don't see RJ introducing any additional firmware updates for v1 or v2.  New work (including the test firmware) will only be available for v3.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline bassmants

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, »
I ordered mine in last year's coop.  I just bought the 330 ohm resistors from Mouser.  I am leary to cut the trace, but here goes nothing...

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, »
You only need support when things aren't working. If the product is doing the job why take the chance that you will break something.

I agree if you want some of the newer features then an upgrade would be necessary.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, »
i upgraded all my 1's, and 2's to 3   it saves having to worry about which utility do i use, or which ones can i hook up to which strings.

and since i plan to add a lot more, and if the boards get redesigned, they'll most likely be v3, then they all match.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, »
I'm convinced my ssc v1(s) didn't work quite right till this year.

The mod is very easy, so if you have time ... I think its worth going to the v3 mod.
If for no other reason, just so you can have a discussion about ssc(s) without the first
thing always be a discussion around your non-supported v2 version maybe being the culprit.

I took about some short lengths of cat5 wires and used those for jumpers on the back.  Worked great.
Once I had the wire on the back, it was clear this was a v3 modded SSC.

I agree that if its not broke, then why fix it ... but for me, the move to v3 was a very
good one and everything seemed much more reliable and predictable this year.

Scott
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, »
All future pcbs for SSCs will be made to the same as a SSC modded to V3.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline zwiller

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, »
I modded mine to the first version of v3 and all worked well.  Later I tried the 2nd v3 mod and firmware and had some flickering on flex strips and the 4 led square modules then went back to 1st v3 mod and all was good.  Incidentally, fades/ramps with first v3 (v3.1) are much smoother.  I liked v3.1 so much I backed up the firmware and utility and plan to use it until gun is pointed at my head.  Anyone else see the same?  I know another member had the same issues, but not sure if there are more of us.  Sorry if I am hijacking thread just felt it was a good time and place to address this. 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline keitha43

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, »
I modded mine to the first version of v3 and all worked well.  Later I tried the 2nd v3 mod and firmware and had some flickering on flex strips and the 4 led square modules then went back to 1st v3 mod and all was good.  Incidentally, fades/ramps with first v3 (v3.1) are much smoother.  I liked v3.1 so much I backed up the firmware and utility and plan to use it until gun is pointed at my head.  Anyone else see the same?  I know another member had the same issues, but not sure if there are more of us.  Sorry if I am hijacking thread just felt it was a good time and place to address this.
I didn't see this on the 12mm pixel nodes. I don't have the other light types you have.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, »
I agree, I had zero issues with the nodes.  In fact, they looked like they performed better with the new firmware. 

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, »
You were using the 4 LED square modules, right?  Meaning, the non officially SS approved ones??
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]