Author Topic: I got the power...can I do what I'm thinking?  (Read 1010 times)

Offline drlucas

I have a couple of DL380 power supplies and two 12V kits for my Active Hubs.

What I'm thinking I can do is this mod You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
and just connect the two wires from the PSU to the hub and not have to worry about the 24pin connectors then?

From the looks of it I can power 11 x 128node strings per power supply. For my show this season this will do the trick for me. Can someone let me know that I can indeed do this and don't need any 24pin or 4pin cables too.

thanks!
Ryan
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline drlucas

Re: I got the power...can I do what I'm thinking?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, »
So I think i can do this...the 12v kit has two line regulators and that will take on the purpose of the 3.3 and 5v feeds that would normally come from the 24pin connector correct? I'm not that Wyle E Coyote genius so I hope someone can confirm...but that's my thinking right now.

OH. and for the record when I soldered the line regulators on I screwed them up and didn't realize there was a difference between the two...I'm glad I actually caught it before I got power to the board. OH...and i'm glad I had a spare kit as I did a nasty little paper clip type thing to the heat sink and broke the tab off it...got a bit tired/rammy with the board when I messed up and had to learn to desolder tonight. the solder sucker did nothing for me, but the wicker braid sure came in handy.

All about learning!! ...so if someone can confirm before I put some juice to this board it would be appreciated!! (and trust me...i'm putting the feeds from the PSU onto a volt meter before I put them to the board....i learned my lesson on an FM transmitter already...)
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, »
If you have the 12v option on the hub then you just feed 12 volts into the big two connector plug on the hub and you do not use the 24 pin or 4 pin connectors at all.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline drlucas

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, »
Thanks for the quick reply!!

I'm going to remove the hot swap connector tomorrow night and power up this hub :)

....and then get back to learning how to sequence whilst I await me some DSC and SSC boards :)
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline youngberg1950

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, »
I grabbed a few of the DL380 power supplies last time disposed of servers.... Just keep an extra on hand ready to swap out  ;D

Edit: I soldered these You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to the hotswap connector for + and - instead of removing the connector. Its easier to leave the wires connected to the Active Hub for me.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, by youngberg1950 »

Offline drlucas

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, »
Thanks for the notes everyone! I've decided to leave the hot swap module in for now....after shorting out the three wires and connecting up the hub to the PS everything came on as expected and no puffs of smoke. ALL GOOD!! Thanks for the help along the way for this one. I'm quite happy with the results....well with one exception. I got a small marine box vs a large one and the power supply doesn't fit...so I'll be going back this weekend to pick up the larger box and start figuring out the best way to permanently mount it in.

now onto figuring how to go from the etherdongle to the hub to the LE and get some blinky blinky!!
-Ryan Lucas-