Author Topic: smart string lengths?  (Read 2144 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
smart string lengths?
« on: August 20, 2012, »
i am about to place my order with ray Wu and i was wondering how accurate the lengths were according to the wiki? for instance, is the 128 node strand closer to 33' or 35'? 75 node strand 19' or 21'? etc... it would really help with laying  everything out if i know exactly what i'm getting.

and also, what is the maximum distance between ssc and first node?

thanks in advance

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: smart string lengths?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, »
Calculate based on 3" between nodes.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, »
The strings are hand made so the total length does vary

At one point I had the estimate length by measurement but people complain when their strings didn't match so we went with a range

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, »
I have kept the distance from my SSC to the first node of pixels to 2ft or less.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, »
I plan on 3 inches. Usually they are around 3 1/4 but when I taped mine to my mounting board I stayed with 3 inches to get uniform spacing.

Offline bajadahl

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, »
He will customize on larger orders.  I had mine done at 10cm or almost 4 inches to give a little room for error.  I plan on spacing on my mega tree at 3.5.  I also had him 20AWG gauge wire instead of 22AWG, However, that is mainly to reduce voltage drop since I am one of the few that still plans to use 5V strings. 

Alan

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, »
He will customize on larger orders.  I had mine done at 10cm or almost 4 inches to give a little room for error.  I plan on spacing on my mega tree at 3.5.  I also had him 20AWG gauge wire instead of 22AWG, However, that is mainly to reduce voltage drop since I am one of the few that still plans to use 5V strings. 

Alan

I take it you are not going to use pixelnet since you are going to use +5v strings.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, »

Alan

I take it you are not going to use pixelnet since you are going to use +5v strings.
Alan is an active participant with LSH, nutcracker, LSP, and joins in our DLA discussions.

Still, he continues to use SanDevices controllers.  (he is a tough nut to crack... :) )
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, »
Some people like Chevys, Some people like Jaguars.  :)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, »

Alan

So what would mr wu consider a large order? I'm ordering 16 strings with a little over 1200 nodes. I'm using them for windows and doors as well as the outline of my house.
Florence, KY

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, »
just email Ray and ask him. He is a middle man so I doubt he will turn down any chance to make money LOL

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline bajadahl

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, »
Some people like Chevys, Some people like Jaguars.  :)

I am scared to ask which one I am...... Although I sure do like and, more importantly, understand the controllers I bought.  But hey I'm a new guy...got to let me make a few mistakes along the way.    And to be completely honest the San Devices stuff was just the first stuff I found that I liked when I started the hobby.  That was all well before finding the LSH guys and this site.  More importantly though, I really do like the 12 TLS3001 node which only comes in 5V....It just has string length envy issues.....  ::)

To the OP: Like others have said, just email Ray and he'll work with you.  I felt like he gave me a good price and I ordered 64 strands of 50 nodes plus a few power supplies and weather proof connectors. So I guess I wouldn't call it a Really large order compared to some of the displays I've seen around here.  But it felt rather large on my wallet.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, »
SSCs will not run 5v stuff.

Offline bajadahl

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, »
SSCs will not run 5v stuff.

Sorry I was joking when I said "Which one am I"   I was referring to your Chevy/Jaguar comparison. ;-) 

I know the SSC only support 12V.  The SanDevices support the 5V TLS3001 so that's what my first tree will be.

Ok, Sorry back on topic.  Good luck getting your strings OP.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, »
thanks everyone. i just emailed ray wu to see what he says.
Florence, KY