Author Topic: quick question on inter-node distance on smart strings  (Read 1458 times)

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
I have been mulling around in my head several projects that I am thinking of undertaking that would include RGB pixels off of a SS Hub.

My questions is this:

I understand that the data is sent to the first pixel and it strips off its piece of data and forwards on.  I understand that timing can be an issue if the space between pixels becomes to great.

What would be an acceptable distance that you could put between 2 pixels?

Could I run 8 the standard 4 inches apart and then separate from the next 8 by 3 or 4 feet?

Just curious on the distance?

Mike.
650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline Titus

Re: quick question on inter-node distance on smart strings
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, »
Funny... I was wondering the same thing.  I know I have read it here somewhere before but searched for a while and could not find the answer.  I have several pairs of windows that are about 2 feet a part and was wondering if I could use 1 SSC for each pair of windows.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, »
yes you can. you need to stay within limits of maybe 5 - 6 ft at max.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline mmciver

• Love the blinky blinky! in 85086
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, »
Thanks R.J.

That is great news!  I wanted to try some of fast eddy's RGB Pixel candy canes, but he had about 4 feet of cable between them.

This will work perfect!!!

Mike.
650000 lights!
160 Channels - 2010 numbers
RGB elements
Combo Mega Tree
Never enough lights!

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, »
And remember, if you need a little more space, you can put a pixel in between, and then just not use it.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, »
i thought i saw somewhere that this might be an issue if you had many "extra spaces" attempted on a full 128 node string
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, »
I guess if you had alot of wire along the whole string the voltage drop might be too much. In that case, he may have to shorten the strings and use more controllers to make up for it. I thought about making some of those candy cane poles myself and thought I would need more than 6 feet between the tops, after you go down the shaft, across to the next one, and then up the next shaft, and it would have to be a trial and see what would work to make the length I would need.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, »
Would this internode distance be the same for the square or rect nodes?
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rimist

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I guess if you had alot of wire along the whole string the voltage drop might be too much. In that case, he may have to shorten the strings and use more controllers to make up for it. I thought about making some of those candy cane poles myself and thought I would need more than 6 feet between the tops, after you go down the shaft, across to the next one, and then up the next shaft, and it would have to be a trial and see what would work to make the length I would need.
Double the spacing in between nodes in your candy cane, then fold at the top and interlace, that way the spacing will appear normal, and you won't have all that extra lead wire. You'll have to remember when programming though, because your candy cane will end up like so: 1,10,2,9,3,8,4,7,5,6

-Rimist
- Rimist

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
Very clever.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Double the spacing in between nodes in your candy cane, then fold at the top and interlace, that way the spacing will appear normal, and you won't have all that extra lead wire. You'll have to remember when programming though, because your candy cane will end up like so: 1,10,2,9,3,8,4,7,5,6

-Rimist
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, by dpitts »