Author Topic: Where do I start  (Read 1357 times)

Offline mcm13yn

Where do I start
« on: January 29, 2012, »
I'm not clear on how to go about building a smart string, posts about Philips, light COOP ban, etc. has got me confused.  I appologize up front if it's in a post somewhere here, but I'm not getting it.  Anyone want to help a newbie out?   ??? ??

Offline keitha43

Re: Where do I start
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, »
Information about smart strings can be found in the wiki. The smart strings themselves (nodes, sqares, rectangles, and flex strips) come from Ray in china. The controllers for each string is called Smart string controllers or SSC's for shorrt. You also need a Smart string hub which can control up to 16 strings depending on how many nodes are on a string. You also need a power supply rated high enough to power what you have. Amd lastly you need a dongle for your computer to send the commands to the hub. This can be either a usb dongle or etherdongle flashed with pixelnet firmware.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, »
This thread is a good place to start- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, »
RJ originally was trying to setup where they would do coops for the LED strings and strips, but the legal issues didn't get worked out, so he setup where we had to order those ourselves direct from china.

To do smartstrings you need 3 other things, which are all gotten here. 1) Dongle, either the original USB version or the newer Etherdongle. 2) Smart String Hub, along with a 12V power supply. This supplies power to all the strings and distributes the data from the Dongle. 3) Smart String controllers (SSC) . Each controller can control 128 pixels.

The USB dongle will control 1 universe of pixelnet, which is 4096 channels. Each pixel needs 3 channels, so you can control  1365 pixels. The hub itself has 16 ports to plug in SSCs, although if you max out each SSC you won't be able to go over 1365 without duplicating channels. The Etherdongle can output 4 universes, so could control 5460 pixels. You would need 4 hubs to get that amount. In addition each hub has a DMX output which you can use to control 512 channels, which deducts from the pixelnet, although you can duplicate this also. And you don't have to use all 512. In my case I had 2 Lynx Expresses, so only needed 32 channels of DMX so started my smart string controllers with 34. The reason I didn't use 33 was the red pixel starts with 1, so to get all reds on the correct channels for the color finder had to start there.

You will also have to get stranded Cat5 cables on your own, since there is power going over them, the stranded are safer, as the single wire can break easier forcing more power through the other wires in use. The power supplies you get need to be single rail and of a high enough wattage to power all the strings attached to that hub.

Everything except the USB dongle will be in coops sometime, so watch the COOP forums for what you need. The USB dongle you just have to get a PCB from here and then order the parts yourself.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline mcm13yn

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, »
Thanks all, I understand you buy the SS from Ali and there is not a DIY option.     ;D

Offline keitha43

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, »
Yes the DIY is on the SSC's and Hubs. There will be COOP's for those this year.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, »
if you think about it, it's just like the rest of the hardware...   you build the controller, and buy the lights  :)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!