Author Topic: Pre-existing LOR sequences and timing marks, how to add on RGB programming?  (Read 2858 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Is there any way (besides manual timing data entry) to take a pre-existing LOR sequence, import it into xlights, then get some timing marks added
so that additional RGB objects can be programmed (bolt-on programming)?

I'm thinking the answer is no, but please let me know if I'm missing something, because I hope I'm just missing something here.

I know that when you define a "new musical sequence" you can import timing from an audacity timing marks file (start_time[TAB]end_time[TAB]label) ... or import from an xlights XML file previously exported (during a save from xlights).

But unfortunately for me, the situation I have is taking pre-existing LOR .lms file and opening it up in xlights, then wanting to "bolt on" additional RGB programming if possible.

I know I could generate nutcracker effects to clipboard files and paste back into LOR sequencer -- but really I'm not sure I want to do that unless there is no other way.

So while I know where Sean is going and he doesn't really have any need to do what I need ... as he never started with LOR (or any other sequencer) to start with ...  I feel a LOT of us will find this to be a fairly big "ravine" to cross, when trying to use xlights, because the issue of how to syncronize old with new becomes an issue.

I was wondering if importing timing marks was possible, when loading a sequence (instead of only on the new musical sequence option) ?

I was wondering how xlights "co mingles" existing sequence data (and timings) with potentially new xlights/nutcracker  programming and timings.  Do they become "one" or could bolt on timings be added for new, while using the pre-existing timings from the base sequence?

Anyways, I know this is partially an xlights and partially a nutcracker question.

I have discovered that in LOR, I can select an entire row in my sequence, then do a copy to the clipboard, then save the clipboard off (to a clipboard file).  I noticed that that LOR clipboard file gives me the exact timings and intensity values for everything on that channel.  TImings are in centiseconds, so muiltiplying by .01 gives me the seconds that xlights would use if coming from audacity label timings.  So I thought it might be really cool if you could read either a clipboard file from LOR (to obtain timings) which would give me a way to sync the new nutcracker programming with an LOR channel (or clipboard saved from a channel).  This then allows an LOR user to even create some timings in a dummy channel, then save off to clipboard, then import into xlights, if that was added to xlights.

Anyways, I know I'm kind of of rambling here ... but I'm curious what others are doing and what you think of these ideas.

I have a lot of existing sequences to add RGB to ... and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it ... with the least amount of work.

Scott / taybrynn

p.s. I added an attachment that shows the xml from an LOR clipboard file and how the timing information is there, in centiseconds.  It seams relatively simple looking to convert this information into something like what the audacity labels export does.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
we could make a utility to read in a lms file and create an audacity timing file.

not too difficult, the issue is what defines a timing mark in lms. so with your chart, i (or someone) could make an audacity timing file

audacity timing file is a tab delimited 3 column file

col 1 is start time in seconds
col 2 is end time in seconds
col 3 is label name

when importing into xlights we only use col1 and col 3 (we ignore the ending time).

is this something that would be useful to LOR people?
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Thanks Sean. 

I think in general, this would have a broad appeal to many LOR folks.

Of course the devil is in the details.

An LOR .lms sequence file can contain many different timings -- generally "1 per track", but a sequence can have multiple tracks.
You can use tracks creatively as a way to both group channels and use different timings during the sequencing process.

So the issue becomes which timings do you bring in and which are really "useful".
It is very common to start with a sequence with lets just say timing marks every second or .5 seconds.  Most are never used or
only used by one thing or another.

So what I was thinking here was that it "might" be useful to take the "utilized" (used) timings for a given channel in the sequence and then have that become the timings you would use in xlights.  Ideally, the best option would be to have a 2-dimensional array in xlights so you could potentially load multiple timings if you wanted.  Objects could either apply to all of those, or you could attach only the objects you wanted to each timing (thats how LOR does it).

Anyways, my thought is ... imagine I'm trying to replace my megatree this year.  I could take a channel in that sequence for the red lights on the megatree and use its "ON" programming to establish when I want the timings for red on the new rgb megatree to occur.  This might be because I'm doing color changes on the entire show and wanting to retain that effect possibly.
So currently I could export that channel as a clipboard, then convert that file to audacity format (write something to do that) ... and then import in xlights (with pre existing sequence loaded) potentially.  The col 3 label could be the channel name in LOR, possibly.  Each timing would be appended kind of how audacity does it, like append with the start and/or finish time or something.

I'm also thinking that this gives people a way to sync a pre-existing sequence with xlights to a degree.  Even if it was limited to just ONE set of timings that could be imported.
THe multiple timings is more of dream wish list kind of thing.

If this could be done by xlights extracting this straight out of the sequence, that would be the slickest (but most work).

If not, then the ability to take an audacity timing file (maybe created via. a LOR clipboard file thats been converted) would be the next most slick.

I could see people eventually wanting multiple timings ... because thing about it ... sometimes you want the timings for NOTES.  SOmetimes you also might want the "phrases" timings added.  THen you might also have a beat track already with its timings.  So eventually the creative process is enhanced with the option of multiple timings which can be used on objects as you decide.  THe way nutcraker applies the effect to the model for the start,stop times is the amazing part!!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login