Author Topic: Where are RGB Strips  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Ralph A

Where are RGB Strips
« on: January 15, 2011, »
I was wanting to make 4 or five stars one within the other, i.e. start with one about 5 feet across the next a little smaller and so forth.  I want them to be RGB.  Very much like the LOR CCR.  I will need to be able to cut them and control them like the Smart Strings.  Is there anything like that on this or other sites?

Thanks Ralph

Offline fasteddy

• WWW.AVERYEDDYXMAS.com
Re: Where are RGB Strips
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, »
The SS controller will also have the option to do strips like the CCR and RJ will give out those links when its time to. He has also shown this here at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

These types of controllers and strips are also available from other sites in different configurations

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Never argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Offline fasteddy

• WWW.AVERYEDDYXMAS.com
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, »
Here you go. 

You can also get waterproof, but if you are going to be cutting and soldering smaller lengths, I would suggest the non waterproof and come up with a plan to waterproof it yourself.  It can be cut about every 3-4 inches.  I also suggest testing smaller strips before installing/soldering because I have seen a few segments missing one color on occasion.

I have had great success this year using this standard non digital DC strip (works with a DC controller with 12vdc not the SS controller) it is water proof and made from solid silicone with a silicone boot so it is very strong as well with great light dispersion properties. You can get it in 2 variations 30led/metre which cuts at 100mm intervals and the overkill of 60 led/metre which cuts in 50mm intervals. It is easy to work with by just cutting with sharp scissors peeleing away the solid silicone from the end where the solder pads are and soldering on some wire. Then use some silicone and some heatshrink to reseal the end, not much to it.

30 LEDs per Metre You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

60 LEDs per metre You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Never argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, »
I think the links got chopped.

Offline fasteddy

• WWW.AVERYEDDYXMAS.com
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, »
This was posted around the same time that RJ announced that DLA will not support these links for RGB lighting that isnt covered by the Phillips patent.

So feel free to remove the post RJ or any of the mods if you feel its innapropriate.

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, »
I read something about a patent issue in the US but I didn't get a complete story.  With my limited knowledge I do understand there are a bunch of these style lights that can be imported.  Most of us just assume that if we can purchase it; it must be legal.

I see now this is not always the case.

Offline Ralph A

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, »
Thanks of the help and advise.  I guess the above links are not appropriate.  Any other ideas out there?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, »
Hi Ralph

Are you planning to use Smart Strings or some other technology?

If SS then RJ will post when the Lights will be available for purchase in a coop

If other tech then you need to visit the forums where they are being developed.

If you are unsure of what type of lights RJ will be offering than please look at the Wiki Equipment page and Pixelnet section for videos showing each type.

Hope that helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Ralph A

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, »
Hey rrowan,  I am planning to use Smart Strings.  However I have only been aware of this for less the 10 days, so I am reading as much as I can and trying to catch up. I have learned you need to fully understand what you are doing and how things work before you buy them or you may be in big trouble!  I have miss some of the coops for now and will plan on the next ones.  So far I am sold on DLA.

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, »
Hey rrowan,  I am planning to use Smart Strings.  However I have only been aware of this for less the 10 days, so I am reading as much as I can and trying to catch up. I have learned you need to fully understand what you are doing and how things work before you buy them or you may be in big trouble!  I have miss some of the coops for now and will plan on the next ones.  So far I am sold on DLA.

If your using Smart String controllers - watch the video in post 2 it shows all the options.

Harrison

Offline Ralph A

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, »
I have watched the video on the SS, but this thread I am wanting a strip like material much like the CCR but a bit more cost effective that I can cut in small sections to make stars.  Thanks again!

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, »
I'm pretty sure you can do that with the strip that RJ is going to offer.  You can cut it every link and then you'd just have to attach the pieces together with some soldering and wire.  I think it would easily be doable and I'm thinking about doing it for some ideas I have.  Will wait to see the exact specs of what is offered once the coop is offered.  Getting excited!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, »
I think you are asking for a strips of lights that are flat on the backing material

See this video You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login from RJ showing it and a could of light options

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline coachers

• Coachers
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, »

Am I understanding this correctly?

The SS Hub, controller that RJ has engineered will work on just about any brand RGB node configuration, not just smart strings?
May you have Good Health...
Great Wealth.....
And your stein never be empty.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, »

Am I understanding this correctly?

The SS Hub, controller that RJ has engineered will work on just about any brand RGB node configuration, not just smart strings?

Yes any node configuration that is out there but (you knew there was going to be but)

No not any brand unless it has the same chip on it that RJ is using. Remember a lot of the rgb light sets out there are using 5v. The SS does not, also there is different type of chips that work slightly differently which is not compatible

Hope that helps and doesn't confuse

Cheers

Rick R.