Author Topic: SS V1 vs V3. Im baffled...  (Read 2747 times)

Offline sean815

SS V1 vs V3. Im baffled...
« on: November 18, 2012, »
ok im confused. I made some V3 SS controllers(330 ohm) and I noticed many more pixel strings are flickering when fading. Like 50% of my strands are flickering and mostly any fade involving white is where I notice the flicker. So i put 2 of the strands on a v1 SS controller from last year and the flicker is gone.

Anyone know why this is happening?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: SS V1 vs V3. Im baffled...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, »
Did you update the firmware and confirm the checksum?

Are you sure you fully cut the trace and added the wire jumper at the connect solder joints?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline sean815

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, »
yep i verified the traces were cut with a continuity tester. Firmware is correct checksum.  But ill try swapping different V3 and see if that makes a difference, didnt think about that.

Offline sean815

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, »
tried all my V3 controllers on flickering strands and they still flicker.   But i tried a new flickering strand on a V1 controller and it still flickered so I guess its definitely a string problem.  But i still don't understand how some of my problem strands are working better on the original SS controller. lol

Anyone else notice this?

Offline keitha43

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, »
I remember when the second v3 mod first came out someone reported the fade weren't as smooth on the square nodes but nobody else reported this that I am aware of.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

dandyman

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, »
I'm still using the first V.3 mod... I modded ALL my SSCs... They are running great right now (smooth fades)... I'm kinda scared to do the second V.3 mod because of the possible fading issue... I may try it after the season is over... :)

Offline zwiller

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, »
+1. Thought I was the only one who saw this flickering. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, »
I have flickering on my square modules.
Sebastian from California

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, »
I'm using the square modules (with 4 LEDs). I'm not seeing any flicker with the V3 mod, 330ohm resistor.

Are you seeing the flicker during a Test with xLights or LSP or with an actual sequence?
Because when I'm just using a slider, I get flicker.
When I'm doing a color fade and chase, I'm not seeing anything but smooooth.

I'm using channels 2561 thru 3448 (universes 6 and 7 of Pixelnet 1 of an Etherdongle)

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, »
I get flicker with test firmware.
Sebastian from California

Offline sean815

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, »
i am running a test pattern from the LSP sequencer with output turned on and see the flicker.

So whats the difference detween the different V3 mods? I have done the official current v3 mod to my v1 boards.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, »
Most of my v1 boards already had the 330 in them, so,I just cut the trace and added the data jumper.   They look fine on flex strips and rectangular modules (inside balls).   I have squares (3led) and squares (4led) I can try them with.   I've also got nodes to test them with.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline keitha43

Re: Re: SS V1 vs V3. Im baffled...
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, »
Most of my v1 boards already had the 330 in them, so,I just cut the trace and added the data jumper.   They look fine on flex strips and rectangular modules (inside balls).   I have squares (3led) and squares (4led) I can try them with.   I've also got nodes to test them with.
I would be interested if pixel nodes flicker. I think zwiller was who I was thinking of that saw it on the second mod v3 but not on the first mod v3 on his squares. Although I have changed all my jumpers I haven't reflashed my pics to the second mod v3 firmware yet as I am having to skip this season due to family illness.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, »
I would be interested if pixel nodes flicker. I think zwiller was who I was thinking of that saw it on the second mod v3 but not on the first mod v3 on his squares. Although I have changed all my jumpers I haven't reflashed my pics to the second mod v3 firmware yet as I am having to skip this season due to family illness.

Yepper.  Newest firmware > flicker on squares and flex strips.  But from memory the nodes worked OK.  I will hookup some nodes to see and report back.

The remarkable thing is how different the different firmwares act.  If I had more time I would do a vid and post it. 

Hope all goes well for you and your family Keith.
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, »
latest v3 mod i don't think i had any issues with re nodes, or full flex strips
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!