Author Topic: High Failure Rate on Newly Built SSCs!  (Read 2857 times)

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
High Failure Rate on Newly Built SSCs!
« on: November 27, 2012, »
I have to be doing something wrong on my end. I have built about 20 SSCs, V2 converted to V3, and out of the 20, 7 of them are dead on first build and 3 will run the test firmware, but I cannot get to program with the SS Utility. Last year I built over 40 SSCs with only 2 or 3 failures, but none that were dead on first build. I have been soldering for a very long time now, but I am obviously doing something wrong with these. I have taken 2 of the dead ones and replaced both the pic and the 485 chip. Touched up all solder joints. One of them I even replaced the 5vt and 3vt regulators with no change. Any suggestions?

NOTE: Dead= PIC 3 will not recognize device, ie. cannot program pic

Offline pk

• Patron Member
Re: High Failure Rate on Newly Built SSCs!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, »
Could you post some pictures of the SCCs

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Could you post some pictures of the SCCs

I can tonight. At work right now, just thinking about it.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, »
I have also built a lot of SSCs last year and this year and I too have been having problems programming some of them this year.  I do not have any solutions, but fortunately I have enough spares that I just set the problem ones aside for now.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, »
That is what I have been doing as well, but at a 50% failure rate I started think something is wrong.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Offline keitha43

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, »
I had 12-v1 and 12-v2 that I had converted to the first v3 mod. I then converted them to the 2nd v3 mod and only had problems with 1 unit that I fixed by reheating all the solder points. I made sure I had the latest firmware and tool just in case there was a difference between the 2 v3 utility programs.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, »
I had a problem with one of my Aether II's of not being able to program the chip. I retouched all the solder joints making sure to double check the ISCP header pins and still no go. I then just pull the chip and programmed it in one of my Universal sockets. Aether II worked after that but I am still not sure why the PIC wouldn't program on the board.
Jeff Squires

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, »
Look closely at the 28 pin sockets. I had a few where the inner conductor moved out of position when I was putting on the PCB. A slight misalignment as I pushed (probably too hard) and it moved the contacts. Luckily I noticed before soldering.

There are higher quality 28 pin sockets that the ones we're using, but they cost over $1 instead of $0.25.
Mouser part #575-11044628 is a good example.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, »
Make sure they are modded to the latest mod.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, »
Having spent the better part of a week fooling with SSC's I have some thoughts... 

First off there are at least 4 firmwares out there and 2 utilities.  Make sure you are using the correct ones (like RJ said).  I bet this is 90% of the issues folks have.  There are TWO (2) V3 firmwares floating around.   I renamed then for myself so I don't get em mixed up.  I much prefer the first V3 (V3.1) mod and have made a folder on machine dedicated for it.  The V3 firmwares and mods are NOT compatible.  Easy to mix up.  Also, your PC shortcut might take you to the old program not the V3 program.  Verify the grouping info is on the the program if using modded V3 SSC's.  Also, it is VERY EASY to fry a pic when you have the populated board hanging out with some wires hanging trying to program it.  I have fried at least 6 pics this way and these pics all give the pic not recognized error with the pickit.  I am much more conservative doing this stuff than I ever was and it has helped.  Less tools on the bench etc...   Lastly, I don't care what anybody says, the program utility and etherdongle can be wonky with programming.  I have found that disconnecting the cat5 cable to the SSC for a second sometimes helps or even occasionally restarting the application. 

I have found this thread immensely humbling since I had some real bad days programming SSC's lately... 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, »
Make sure they are modded to the latest mod.

RJ

Using the mod in the wiki now.

Having spent the better part of a week fooling with SSC's I have some thoughts... 

First off there are at least 4 firmwares out there and 2 utilities.  Make sure you are using the correct ones (like RJ said).  I bet this is 90% of the issues folks have.  There are TWO (2) V3 firmwares floating around.   I renamed then for myself so I don't get em mixed up.  I much prefer the first V3 (V3.1) mod and have made a folder on machine dedicated for it.  The V3 firmwares and mods are NOT compatible.  Easy to mix up.  Also, your PC shortcut might take you to the old program not the V3 program.  Verify the grouping info is on the the program if using modded V3 SSC's.  Also, it is VERY EASY to fry a pic when you have the populated board hanging out with some wires hanging trying to program it.  I have fried at least 6 pics this way and these pics all give the pic not recognized error with the pickit.  I am much more conservative doing this stuff than I ever was and it has helped.  Less tools on the bench etc...   Lastly, I don't care what anybody says, the program utility and etherdongle can be wonky with programming.  I have found that disconnecting the cat5 cable to the SSC for a second sometimes helps or even occasionally restarting the application. 

I have found this thread immensely humbling since I had some real bad days programming SSC's lately... 

I never had the first firmware for the V3 Mod only the one in the wiki now.

I have put SSCs not working on the back burner for now. I am really fighting reprograming my old V1 SSCs with the SS Utility that I am using now! I have tried through my Etd and Pixelnet Dongle and nothing! I need to change the channel config on 32 of them and this is really kicking me now! Where is the SS Utility that works the best? When use the Etd do you hook you SSC up to an Active Hub to program? That is what I have been trying.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, »
Yes you need a hub between the ETD and the SSC. The hub supplies the power to the SSC (assuming you have the hub powered up with a ps)

If you are using an older version of the firmware then don't use the latest version of the SS Utility. The July 10th one should work for you. If you need it its in the Library section of the Pixelnet equipment page.

Rick R.

Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, »
Yes you need a hub between the ETD and the SSC. The hub supplies the power to the SSC (assuming you have the hub powered up with a ps)

If you are using an older version of the firmware then don't use the latest version of the SS Utility. The July 10th one should work for you. If you need it its in the Library section of the Pixelnet equipment page.

Rick R.

That is what I have been doing and I am running that SS Utility. I can still NOT program any of the controllers and they all worked. I just took them off of my Mega Tree.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, »
Ok,

We need to go back to the beginning then.

What ver of the SSC and SS Utility are you using?
Can you reflash the pics?
If so does the test firmware work (assuming the SSC has a test firmware)

If something was working and now its stopped then there is a software mismatch or there is a hardware problem

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, »
Ok,

If something was working and now its stopped then there is a software mismatch or there is a hardware problem

Rick R.

How about a blown fuse in the Hub?  <fp.

Amazing how you cannot see the forest through the trees when you get mad! Thanks for the help on this one. I will be back for help with the dead SS when I gat a chance!