Author Topic: My Pixelnet Project  (Read 1648 times)

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
My Pixelnet Project
« on: February 28, 2013, »
Hey guys/gals - I thought I would share some news of a 16 string controller I have been working on for the last few months.

I  finished the PCB layout a and expect to get boards back in a couple of weeks.  Here are some of the details on the board. The board and parts are estimated to cost $110.

• Single microcontroller design.
• 16 – 128 node strings off one microcontroller.
• Controller ID.  Used to address controller to program strings settings in the yard. Up to 64 controllers can be addressed via 6-pin dip switch.
• All sorts of different advanced grouping features.
• Ability to read from two Pixelnet Universes (selectable - 1&2, 2&3, 3&4, 1&4).  Any string can use the channels within the two universes selected.
• Powered by an ATX power supply like the active hubs.
• Mini-Blade fuses for easy changeout
• Advanced software interface which allows you to configure all controllers by using the unique ID of each controller.  The software allows you to save and retrieve settings for all controllers from a user selectable file.  Will be able to reprogram controller that is out in the display.
• Ability to control TM18XX and WS2811 strings.
• Active pixelnet output.
• Power Status LEDs per output.
• Resistor pack for easy changeout without soldering - depending on length to 1st node.

I also am in process of laying out a scaled down four string version.

What do you think?

Myk
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, by mykroft »

Offline MrChristmas2000

Re: My Pixelnet Project
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, »
That's very good project.

It would cut down on having a lot of individual controllers laying around a Megatree for sure.  It would also let you put the controller in a better sealed container that the pipe modules.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, by MrChristmas2000 »

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, »
It sounds like a great project....

Is it effectively an active hub with the SSC built into each port? (I see you have some other features as well, but is that what the board amounts to?)
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced

Offline zwiller

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Has RJ blessed your project?

(says prayer)   ;D

I like the thought of the scaled down version. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, »
sounds interesting to be sure.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, »
Yes its like combining the two together.

Designed to fit in the CG-1500 case.

Forgot, Also has 16 output leds, thought that would make trouble shooting easier if for some reason you are tromping about the yard in the dark etc - if no led = blown fuse for that channel.

As far as blessing - didn't think it was required since this is a completely new/different design of anything that is out there - the single microprocessor is the only surface mount component, rest are thru hole.

The smaller 4 output version - single chip design - will be ideal for putting it into a device etc.  My use will be a tree topper etc - its been designed to use a case like You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, small and compact.

Another thing I really like, is the ability to remote program the unit, no more moving jumpers etc

Myk
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, by mykroft »

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, »
One of the main reasons I started this project was the setup/simplicity.

Will be using one for my parents - but they live 1.5 hrs away from me and it will be nice that they don't have to have all the indv components and make sure they are plugged in correctly.

The conductor will be used here so they don't have to deal with a computer etc.

This was a house for years that had the biggest static display going back to when I was 10, in the newspaper sever times, local TV stations et c - but they cant do it all now because of age etc and the 7 birds have flown the coop and make their own nests so nobody close to do it anymore (wont let dad on the ladder anymore.....).  So this setup will help out considerably....

Myk

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
My Pixelnet Project
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, »
Fantastic product. This is a great to add to my display. Looking forward to the progress.
Sebastian from California

Offline towtruck

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, »
This sounds great.

Will it have a DMX output? I was thinking along the lines of using it as a replacement for a SS Active hub.

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, »
No, just pixelnet

It will have a replaceable resistor network depending on how far the controller will be from the 1st node of the strings etc - this will help with ringing on the data line....

Myk

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, »
I think we should talk.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying