Author Topic: rolling extension cords  (Read 763 times)

Offline winwin

rolling extension cords
« on: January 06, 2013, »
I took my display down this weekend. After rolling one extension cord by hand being careful not to twist the cable (yes, I am picky!), I realized it would take me hours and hours to go through all of them that way. No time for that so I made this home-made rolling device...
tape one end on the side of the bottle and start rolling! a few seconds later you have a nicely rolled up extension cord. Just slide it out and it is ready to store. The one on the picture is a good 50 ft long.
It may not be fancy but it saved me hours of work and all extension cords are neatly rolled up.
... and if you do not think I am crazy, my kids sure thought I was when they saw what I was doing!
AL.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: rolling extension cords
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, »
Engineers and their ideas.  I love it, but I just coil mine up in big loops and hang them on hooks in my shed.  The 5ft and 9 ft just hang on hooks - no coiling at all.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, »
I loop mine over my arm Velcro a carabiner on the coil and hang them from my 10' high rafters.

Offline Sparky96

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, »
I am also picky how stuff gets wrapped up. I use the over/under method of wrapping cables, kinda hard to explain here but I'm sure a quick google search will find many a video. I'm an audio engineer on the weekends and this is how the industry likes to wrap cables. The benefit is that it's fast, makes a consistent sized coil, and keeps twist to a minimum.

Dave

Offline jlowe

rolling extension cords
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, »
Over/under is a great technique. I'm interested in how your bottle method does when unrolling. Over/under takes time, but I know that I'm not twisting the wires and when I want to unroll, I can just hold one end and throw. No tangles.