Author Topic: What would happen if.....  (Read 1604 times)

Offline wjgiles50

What would happen if.....
« on: April 02, 2013, »
So I was replacing my gutters and found out that I had some fascia and soffit that is rotten.  I was planning on replacing the fascia with some of the new non-wood.  Seem to be made of PVC of something like it.  Then I thought "What if I replace the soffit with coroplast!".   Then I can put RGB lights behind it.  Year round lighting with no water issues.   It's durable, cheap as plywood, and probably burns and produces noxious fumes.  What do you think?  What are the down sides?

Offline combustionmark

Re: What would happen if.....
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, »
Not sure of the life of coro, Will it stand up to 20+ years of weather, and storms?

I will stick to proper materials for my home, and add decorations on top of that. I do have lights that I don't plan on taking down anymore, but what about repairers, do you really want part of your home missing?
Have Fun!

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, »
What centers are the roof trusses on?  I've seen 16", 2FT, and 4FT. I would think even at 16" center the coro would bow between them, unless you build a subframe behind the coro attached to the ends of the trusses

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, »
I would also question the longevity of coro being used outside. You can get 10mil coro which would be very rigid but might not be translucent enough for what you want to do.

Offline wjgiles50

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What centers are the roof trusses on?  I've seen 16", 2FT, and 4FT. I would think even at 16" center the coro would bow between them, unless you build a subframe behind the coro attached to the ends of the trusses

The truss are on 24" centers and the soffit is only about 12" deep so it would be supported in 12 X 24 squares so I don't think it would sag too bad.  I thought maybe some channel at the house and soffit to support the coro on the sides and a screw with washer in the middle of the truss .  Also under the eves of the house it is well out most of the weather.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, »
If you could post some pictures of that area it would be easier for people to make recommendations.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, »
Just remember that the fascia and soffit are there for a reason, not just appearance in most cases these days. Keeping moisture, bugs and other critters from getting into your eves. Trying to seal that with coro would be an uphill battle IMHO, but I do think that what your are doing would look cool though.

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, »
People who have used Coro have said that some is not UV resistant. After two seasons of use, it gets brittle and cracks.  Just something to take into consideration....
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login