Author Topic: looking for construction suggestions for simple small trees  (Read 1112 times)

Offline wrxin

Hello, I'm just looking for any simple suggestions for constructing 4 small - say 3ft tall Christmas trees to line the front edge of one side of our yard. No mega tree requirement or anything too complicated. This is my first year at this and I'm starting "simple" (not sure if light animation can really be defined as simple  ;)). I'd really appreciate any pointers.

I'm starting this year with Vixen software, a 16 channel LE, and a bunch of LED lights I already owned from previous years.

Thanks!

Mark

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
The easiest/cheapest solution is to got to your local nursery and get tomato cages.  Invert them.  I also use landscaping staples to 'fasten' them to the ground.

Wrap the cages (now trees) with strings of lights.  I've used a couple strings of white that I make one channel, and another set of strings that are colored string.  With 8 trees you can have one white channel per tree, and 1 more channel per tree using the colored.  this will let you sequence them back an forth.

but if you want to use some of your 16 vixen channels for other things, you can make 8 channels be the sequenced white and connect all of the 8 colored strings together to create a single 9th channel.  so many ways to do this, and none of them are wrong.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
Very Basic Mini-Trees

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
how cute!  your's have stilts!!  :)

no doubt to make them visible over obstructions.  I need to do something similar.  nice idea.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline wrxin

The tomato cages are a great idea! Thank you.

Offline shaunkad

you may have trouble finding them this time of year craft stores sell a floral easel that work with some modifications to them. Planet Christmas has a few write ups on how to make them.

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
Tomato cages of various sizes work well.  I "weave" my lights so that the lights are at the front of the display.

My dad made a tree using pie pans, 1x2s, and C9 lights.

You could make a simple mega tree using PVC.

Lots of possibilities, and welcome to the world of blinky flashy...
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline wrxin

Thanks again for the ideas and the welcome. I'm watching a video from RJ (Smart Strings Demo 2) right now to understand more about smart strings (for next year and a new budget!).

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
I built all 10 in a day its not as simple as the tomato cages but I did not want to worry about shorts on the wire, I read about a few people haveing the gfi trip when the gruond is wet and it always rains in FL anyhoo here are some pic's
Jeff

Offline wrxin

Thanks you lineman, those are pretty neat too. Good point about the shorting issue.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
I have 16 mini trees made by using floral wreath stands which can be found at lots of home decor stores, like Garden Ridge, Joanns, etc.  I use 3 100 ct incans on them - one each of red, green, and clear.  My goal is to replace / rebuild them using LEDs since If I turn all the lights on all 16 trees at once they pull over 18amps.  In contrast everything on my house - roof, gutters, windows, doors, porch columns, etc and my mega tree use less than 2 amps total when all on.  That tells you the difference with using LEDs for lights.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
I use the floral easels too.

I only wrap 2 sides so I get more light density facing the audience with my 100 ct LED of each color.

This year I re-wrapped them with 4 colors each RGBW.

-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline z327

• my personal Christmas lighting web site
I used two different sizes of floral tripods that I picked up for cheap at Hobby Lobby. Wrapped each in Red, Green and Blue.
80 Channels LOR, 112 Channels Lynx Express
16 Channels MR16 with 5 Mighty Mini's
2 SmartString HUBs
LedTriks
5,000 LEDs lights, 50,000 incandescent lights, 3,600 RGBs
30 Strobes
15 Snow Lights