Author Topic: triac?  (Read 1149 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
triac?
« on: October 07, 2014, »
had a dead short and blew a fuse, now 2 channels are stuck on. if I remember correctly, that is a triac issue correct?

thanks

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline tbone321

Re: triac?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, »
Not always but in this case, the chances are pretty high.  You can always pull the opto's for those two channels and power it back up and if the channels stay on, then the triac's have fried and shorted and need to be replaced.  The only issue I have is why did two of them fail?  It really should have just been the one with the shorted connection.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Not always but in this case, the chances are pretty high.  You can always pull the opto's for those two channels and power it back up and if the channels stay on, then the triac's have fried and shorted and need to be replaced.  The only issue I have is why did two of them fail?  It really should have just been the one with the shorted connection.

I believe the short occurred on those two channels. I was moving things around and poof! I haven't dove in yet to see what happened. it was late so I just went to bed. I do notice that the leds on the board for those channels are not lit if that means anything. will dig in here in a bit and figure it out.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, »
The LED's simply indicate which channels the PIC is turning on.  Being off means that the PIC is not trying to turn them on which is what you would expect.  Removing the opto removes any driver from the triac and if it remains on, then the triac has shorted out.  If the channel turns off, then the problem exists elsewhere and is probably the opto itself.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving