Author Topic: Smart String Warm Light Feature Request  (Read 3154 times)

Offline Corey872

Re: Smart String Warm Light Feature Request
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, »
ya - I didn't think my names were 'that' creative... :) though I did 'tone down' a few for public viewing vs what I actually recorded them as in my personal notes.  I figured the humor might not translate well.

Though this thread actually got me searching on the LSP forum to see if there were any solutions.  I actually found my old post from ~1 year ago detailing essentially this very problem.  No replies, so I went ahead and updated it with a bit more info, and some examples...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

To refine the issue a bit more:

When working with pixelnet nodes, or any RGB system which isn't fully video calibrated, the colors output by the nodes don't even come close to what is on the monitor.  For example, the following RGB combos:

RGB 255, 208, 107 is a perfect snow white on my nodes, looks like this on the monitor;

RGB 135, 19, 00 is a bright pumpkin / halloween orange, looks like this

RGB 83, 29, 00...lemon yellow on the nodes

I could go on, but you get the 'picture'.  It would be nice if there were some way to define 'my pallet' or some way to convert / equalize what shows on the screen with what shows on the nodes.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, »
ya - I didn't think my names were 'that' creative... :) though I did 'tone down' a few for public viewing vs what I actually recorded them as in my personal notes.  I figured the humor might not translate well.

Though this thread actually got me searching on the LSP forum to see if there were any solutions.  I actually found my old post from ~1 year ago detailing essentially this very problem.  No replies, so I went ahead and updated it with a bit more info, and some examples...

To refine the issue a bit more:

When working with pixelnet nodes, or any RGB system which isn't fully video calibrated, the colors output by the nodes don't even come close to what is on the monitor.  For example, the following RGB combos:

RGB 255, 208, 107 is a perfect snow white on my nodes, looks like this on the monitor;

RGB 135, 19, 00 is a bright pumpkin / halloween orange, looks like this

RGB 83, 29, 00...lemon yellow on the nodes

I could go on, but you get the 'picture'.  It would be nice if there were some way to define 'my pallet' or some way to convert / equalize what shows on the screen with what shows on the nodes.
I;ve imagined (but have no time to implement) a software solution with video cams that matches color swatches, and adjusts RGB pixels automatically to find matches.  it seems like a simple enough thing to do -- does anyone know a reason why it might not work?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Corey872

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, »
I don't deal enough with video/RGB calibration to know what the best solution is.  After a while I guess it just starts to be like 'The Matrix'...I look at that almond color and I see a brilliant snow white...look at that ugly brown and see a vivid lemon yellow.  I can certainly get by with it.  But a good solution to me would be something like 'my pallet' in LSP where I could assign node RGB values and coordinate that with monitor RGB values to net the same color...ie on my monitor I would see 255, 255, 255 ...snow white and when I click that color, it would send 255, 208, 107 to the nodes.

The fastest way I've developed to edit transitions, is to get the avi in a video editor, tweak the color setting, do a screen capture, look at the image in a photoshop program with the 'color selector' tool - so I can directly see the RGB values, tweak a bit more in the video editor, screen cap, check RGB's, etc.  After a few iterations, you get the transition relatively close to the proper RGB values for the nodes and save it.  The video on the screen looks like junk, but it plays out beautifully on the nodes.  It works, but you'd think there would be a much more elegant solution!

As far as one 'fix' for the whole thing.  Again, I'm no video/RGB expert, but in trying for a 'one step fix', I grabbed the image with my three sample colors, opened that in Paintshop and found that choosing Adjust > Brightness and Contrast > Curves, then tweaking the RGB curve actually pulled those colors somewhat close to the nodes output.  I don't know if this would 'globally' fix all color mismatches, but got the three examples fairly close: