Author Topic: Project updates  (Read 87853 times)

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
Re: Project updates
« Reply #315 on: May 21, 2010, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Anyone know if the solder RJ is using is the same as the solder I use with my solderstation 60/40 Rosin core or do I need somethig different

If you mean on the LEDS? yes

The rest is solderpaste as I describe in the first video.

RJ Thanks RJ Sorry I did mean on the LEDS , Now off to walmart for the griddle
Jeff

Offline Murl

« Reply #316 on: May 21, 2010, »
RJ - just wanted to make sure... 
In the 2nd video at around 9:50 where you were placing the diodes, you said that the line needs to go to the right, "towards the side that isn't perfectly squared off".  But, on your paper, it was the left side that appeared to have the angled corners.

From the video, I couldn't really see the line on the diode.  Does it go on the right?

Thanks!

-Murl

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #317 on: May 21, 2010, »
RJ - just wanted to make sure... 
In the 2nd video at around 9:50 where you were placing the diodes, you said that the line needs to go to the right, "towards the side that isn't perfectly squared off".  But, on your paper, it was the left side that appeared to have the angled corners.

From the video, I couldn't really see the line on the diode.  Does it go on the right?

Thanks!

-Murl

You are correct I misspoke. It should be put on as marked which is to the left.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #318 on: May 22, 2010, »
Had the same question.  Thanks Murl :)  :)

RJ,

I must say that before I Joined DIYC I had soldered before but never to the extent that I have since Joining DLA. Now I feel really good about my skills and obviously my confidence level is high. Last year I doubted myself as you introduced Surface mount on the TX and RX modules. Your video was great and really helped ease me into that. Even though I used my soldering iron for those parts. :)
Tonight I have watched all 3 videos you've posted so far and am really intrigued as I learn how to use solder paste etc. When I started out in DIY I NEVER would've imagined that I would be doing this stuff.
I am so excited and can't wait for the next installment/ video. Thankyou soooo much for the education and broadening my horizons.

I'm off to find some parts tomorrow. (lighted magifying glass and griddle)    :D

Thanks  RJ

Leon
Leon

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #319 on: May 22, 2010, »
Leon,

I glad to hear it. I find learning new stuff to be a part of the process I enjoy also. This project has been a great learning tool for me in the area of thermal managment as the ather really puts a lot of power in its package. This means you have to effectively handle the heat.

Anyone have a complete mighty mini with everything to run it I could borrow for a few days to video a side by side comparision? I will pay for the flat rate back and forth.

I think it is time to show how much light the units put out side by side to show a better comparision. I promise to take the filter off my camera this time so I can show the red at all, and all the other colors better.

RJ

Offline zman

• Woodinville Wonderland
« Reply #320 on: May 22, 2010, »
That will be a very interesting comparison. Not that I am even considering the Mighty Mini, I am just curious due to all the hype that it has generated.
I have the CLAP - Christmas Light Addiction Problem - Do you?
LOR - Lynx - Sandevice - J1Sys - Madrix - Advatek
~ Christmas is not a time, it's a state of mind ~

Offline prof

« Reply #321 on: May 23, 2010, »
RJ

I really enjoyed the videos.  looking forward to the remainder.

In the videos you mention that the Arctic Alumina is used to insulate the LED heatsink from the ground plane.
As soon as the LED is in place on the board, is there a quick check that can be done with your multimeter to make sure that the heatsink is in fact isolated so that a short (if present) can be immediately corrected. As you also state that once the epoxy has set, the LED cannot be removed, thus a problem cannot be readily fixed.

Craig
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, by prof »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #322 on: May 23, 2010, »
RJ

I really enjoyed the videos.  looking forward to the remainder.

In the videos you mention that the Arctic Alumina is used to insulate the LED heatsink from the ground plane.
As soon as the LED is in place on the board, is there a quick check that can be done with your multimeter to make sure that the heatsink is in fact isolated so that a short (if present) can be immediately corrected. As you also state that once the epoxy has set, the LED cannot be removed, thus a problem cannot be readily fixed.

Craig
Yes there is its in the text manual along with a few other things I could not cover in the video.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #323 on: May 23, 2010, »
Anyone have a complete mighty mini with everything to run it I could borrow for a few days to video a side by side comparision? I will pay for the flat rate back and forth.
RJ

I have some I could ship you - it includes an LOR DC controller (which talks DMX), power supply and two different vendors of LED in the lights.  PM me soon as I am leaving for vacation tommorrow morning and I'd need to get these packed and ready tonight.

David

Thanks David I have one on the way to me already.

RJ

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
Question for the experts
« Reply #324 on: May 24, 2010, »
Was reading about SMT ovens and noticed some use an infrared lamp to melt the solder paste.

Is that a viable option instead of a griddle?
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #325 on: May 24, 2010, »
It is just one it is more expensive and two it is more touchy as you can overheat the units easy with them.  You normally should use a reflow profile controller with one so that adds to the expense and the effort. Trust me a $29 griddle works great.

RJ
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, by RJ »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #326 on: May 24, 2010, »
Last assembly video segment posted :

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #327 on: May 24, 2010, »
Had the Aether built in the video outside in the heat running most of the day continous with it wide open. I did not install the optional fan on this unit just for this reason to test with out it. Temps seem to be fine. Tonight had a bright moon so I went out and played with my camera until I could take a picture and the brightness matched the real world. then I took this photo of the Same Aether lighting up a 25 foot raintree in the backyard. If you look to the far right of the pic you can just make out a road at the end of the land. This is what it looks like with your eyes tonight.  I am on the deck which is about 6 ft of the ground and the tree is maybe 40 ft from the camera in the picture. This is with the spot light lenses. Man the thing can throw some light for the few watts of electricity it uses.

I should have images of it beside an Mighty Mini for comparisions after this next weekend if the package gets here this week.

RJ

Offline kj77rn

« Reply #328 on: May 24, 2010, »
This thing is amazing.  All four videos are great and I can't wait to experience/learn SMT assembly.  Is the light with you on the deck?
Steve
Apopka FL

Offline vairmoose

• Patron Member
« Reply #329 on: May 24, 2010, »
I was thinking 4 for christmas....   now I'm thinking 8 or maybe 10 ..  and replace all the corner security lights on the house..    a few for Christmas..   and 1 or 2 for landscaping...    don't tell SWAMBO...  

Adding a motion sensor would probably get someone's attention  <la..

Larry

P.S.    well done on the videos...     My concern for the SMD has been significantly abated...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, by vairmoose »
3 today (standing at light switch, holding two lighters)
Going live in 2012