Author Topic: What ICSP adapter?  (Read 1037 times)

Offline soakes94

What ICSP adapter?
« on: January 18, 2011, »
I want to get myself a pickit, so my first question is pickit2 or pickit3? And then my second question is what ICSP adapter do I want? I'm going to get my equipment from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I'm planning on building a dongle, MR16 and Ren48LSD in DMX mode.

Thanks Steve :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, by soakes94 »

Offline inzeos

Re: What ICSP adapter?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, »
I would get their PICKIT3 with all 4 ICSP adaptors in it.  Not much more than buying it piece meal or in a smaller kit.

I believe when we built the express and dongle we used two of the adapters.  My guess is in the future you will probably make use of all of them eventually.

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, »
Dumb newbie question...I didn't think it mattered what adapter you used on the board as long as the pickit recognized the PIC?

Offline inzeos

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, »
The adapters differ in the number of pins they have and the jumpers.

The documentation that comes with this kit lets you look up the microchip part number and gives you a letter code for the adapter.  Then you look at the adapter and place a jumper on each pin pair that has the letter referenced.  Very straight forward and user friendly.

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, »
Some of the newer devices (e.g. Aether) using surface mount PIC's don't use the external adapter boards.  They are programmed directly with a cable.

Offline n1ist

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, »
Actually, most of the new boards (not only the SMT ones) have an ICSP header on them.  Just plug your PICkit 2 or 3 right onto the header and program away.
/mike