Author Topic: using the Dumb String Controller (DSC)  (Read 2900 times)

Offline JerryPlak

using the Dumb String Controller (DSC)
« on: September 16, 2012, »
So a question to members here on the DSC....  how do we combine these, can the 4port and or the 16 port passive Smart String hubs work? 
Or what is a good solution?
Thx
Curt

for Curt,
My Plan is to use one of the Pixelnet 4 Port Passive Hub to run the DSC for my M-tree Star  8)
Jerry Plak

Offline rm357

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, »
The DSC is like the SSC in that it needs to be plugged into a hub to receive both pixelnet data and power.

You will need a dongle to generate the pixelnet data, which hooks to the input on your hub. The recommended configuration is to go into one of the 16 port hubs, which regenerates the signal and adds power for each of the output jacks. The 4 port hub was intended to be an easy expansion option if the 16 port hub didn't have quite enough outputs, but going to 2 hubs would be overkill.

Although not recommended, you can use the 4 port hub with just the dongle for a very small setup. However, since there is no regeneration of the signal, your mileage may vary... If using the etherdongle, you will by default be using pixelnet universe 1. To use a different universe, you will also need the splitter/combiner board or you will need to make a custom cable...

As far as configuring it, once you set the start address it looks like either a single RGB pixel or three independent channels... You can use it either way....

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: using the Dumb String Controller (DSC)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, »
rm357, thanks for the excellent explanation!

i've been wondering the same questions regarding the 4-port hubs.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline JerryPlak

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, »
Hear a Great Video that RJ did on this  ;)    You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Jerry Plak

Offline curtbl

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, »
Yes I agree, thanks rm357, I "assumed" some of it but you clarified very well.
Jerry thank you also for your direction. and moving the question to the correct place.  I was afraid to post in SmartString so I took my shot where I did, guess I frustrated some, which was not my intent.
RJ also thanks for the link, as always your the man!
My first year utilizing DIY, Lor up til now but have had dimming issues with their gear and some LED strings
I'm excited to be part of a group of dedicated people,
Next to figure out what to order and how to talk to Ray.

Have a good week all, traveling again til the 28th.
Curt

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, »
Don't worry about it. Frustated is really not the word. They were just explaining that was not the area. I would rather send you to the correct place.

Why be afraid to post int he Smart String area?  This is where it is weird, The DSC is a smart string device.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline curtbl

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, »
Thanks RJ, guess I didn't think of it that way.  I was also trying to find what people were using for pixels with the DSC's I will check the wiki again and see what is up there I may have missed it.
Final question, I see all type of communication about Ray Wu, but somehow have missed how most people are communicating with him. Your comments earlier in this section say don't allow the clock to run out until product is in your hand.  Just confused as best way to go, I'm close to ordering a bunch of product.
Thanks
Curt

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, »
It looks like people are starting to get lost in the sauce here.  First, there is a real difference between pixels and dumb strings.  Dumb strings may have multiple LED's but they are not pixels.  A pixel will have a separate controller in each one and each one can and has to be individually controlled.  Dumb strings have what I refer to as nodes and are simply tied to common lines.  What one node does, they all do and that is simply controlled by either changing the voltage or by PWM on specific common lines.  A SSC will not be able to control dumb strings and a DSC will have no way to control smart string.  A SSC also only has 3 wires on its output while the DSC has 4.

There are two ways to order from Ray.  The first one is thru Alli Express and in That case, then you should make sure that the time does not run out before you receive the items.  This is the safest way because ALLi Express will hold the money until the product is in your hands and if you are not happy or the order does not reach you then they will refund it to you.  The down side is that sometimes there are foreign transaction fees from your credit card and there are some issues getting the credit card companies to process the transaction.  Shipping charges can also be quite high using this method.  The other way is to deal with Ray directly.  Figure out what you want and email Ray with your order and a request for best shipping rates.  He will get back to you with the amount.  You can pay him thru PayPal and there are no foreign transaction fees and lower shipping rates.  You don't get the protection of your money being put into trust like Alli Express does but Ray has proven himself to be rather trustworthy.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline curtbl

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, »
tbone, thanks for the short lesson, I do understand the difference just used the wrong wording... oh well to much newbeeeee. So understanding SS are pixels and require many more channels then we are back to "DumbStrings" or nodes, then we are back to the original question which was can I use the passive SS hubs to manage multiple DS's, seems the answer is yes, so that said, how are they controlled and can you, and I think I know the answer to this, but can you combine SS's and DS's on the same "passive hub" or are they considered completely separate.
Sorry, just trying to cover as many bases as I can learn and get ready for a different show this year!.
Thanks
Curt

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, »
Yes
The hub won't care if it's the ssc or the dsc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, »
DSC and SSC are programmed in the same way in software, they connect the same way to your active or passive hubs.

the only difference in behavior is that a DSC had only 3 channels (RGB) for the whole string... instead of 3 channels for each pixel (SSC).
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, »
tbone, thanks for the short lesson, I do understand the difference just used the wrong wording... oh well to much newbeeeee. So understanding SS are pixels and require many more channels then we are back to "DumbStrings" or nodes, then we are back to the original question which was can I use the passive SS hubs to manage multiple DS's, seems the answer is yes, so that said, how are they controlled and can you, and I think I know the answer to this, but can you combine SS's and DS's on the same "passive hub" or are they considered completely separate.
Sorry, just trying to cover as many bases as I can learn and get ready for a different show this year!.
Thanks
Curt

There are two types of passive hubs, the 16 port passive hub and the 4 port passive hub.  Although the 4 port passive hub can be used by itself, that's not its intention and it has no termination or universe control capability.  The 16 port passive and the 16 port active hub have full control and can be used for both SSC's and DSC at the same time.  Both the SSC and the DSC use the same connection for power and the control signal on the input side.  The hubs are simply distributing both power and the control data (Pixelnet) and really don't know or care which device(s) is/are connected to it so you will be good to go.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, »
DSC and SSC are programmed in the same way in software, they connect the same way to your active or passive hubs.

the only difference in behavior is that a DSC had only 3 channels (RGB) for the whole string... instead of 3 channels for each pixel (SSC).

They are not exactly the same since there are no "modes" for the DSC.  They also work in very different ways so claiming tha the only difference is the number of channel is a bit misleading.

Offline rm357

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, »
For all effective purposes, a dsc is like a ssc with a string length of 1.
The other options don't make sense for length 1, so you do program and operate it the same.

Or you could say a dsc is like a ssc in string mode, except that it uses dumb nodes instead of smart ones.

Or you can wait to actually get one in your hands and write a manual...

To me, it's just a 3 channel controller that speaks pixelnet. I've got some similar modules from another place that speak DMX. I'm curious to see if there is a performance difference.

RM

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, »

They are not exactly the same since there are no "modes" for the DSC.  They also work in very different ways so claiming tha the only difference is the number of channel is a bit misleading.

I was speaking "functionally the same".

Look... they are different looking, they use different size of pvc tubing, they have different parts, they use different types of strings that cost different prices...  there are differences between SSC and DSC.

the point is that they have similarities in the supporting hardware... they have similarities in how you sequence them.   

sometimes there is so much nit-picking about details that the generalisms are lost and people get more confused by the discussion.

IMO.