Author Topic: SS Hub Failure  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
SS Hub Failure
« on: December 10, 2011, »
<md..

My SS flex strip mega tree has been running perfectly for about a week. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Yesterday it stopped working.   >:(

Today I pulled the hub out and discovered the input power connections melted and charred on pins 2 + 3.  There is now a short between pins 2 + 3 on the board.

The board is perfectly dry.  My power supply is 650 watts. Green light on hub will light.  None of the SS ports work.  I daisy chain this board to another board and the other board is working perfectly and DMX out on the second board works fine.  I am thankful the rest of my show still works.

Any ideas what could cause this issue?  Any suggestions on how best to repair?  I can't imagine trying to desolder all of those connections.  I think I need a new power supply too.  I don't really want risk building another board only to have the same issue occur again.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, by Mickpat »

Offline rm357

Re: SS Hub Failure
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, »
Those two pins are your +12v on the big connector. All of the board except the smart string outputs use either the 5v or 3.3v, so it makes sense that everything else works.

A few questions:
Did you have any of the 4 pin connectors attached?
(they also supply 12v to board and if the hub is loaded, you need the extra copper to carry the current)

Does your power supply have a single or multiple 12v rails?
(alot of discussion on whether or not this would be a problem, but the safest option is a single rail supply)

Do you have a voltmeter and know how to test the 12v output of the supply?
(If it is still putting out 12v DC, you may be able to just connect the 4 pin connectors and carry on, but I am concerned that something in the supply may be fried or that you have a problem somewhere else that is making the system draw more current than it should...)

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, »
I thought that pins 2 + 3 were the 3.3v and not the 12v.  No, I did not have the 4 pin power connected to this board.  I had them connected to the other board, but nothing else was connected to the second board, just running DMX.  The other board had the 12 volt option installed.  Its possible I exceeded the current, not sure.  Yes, my PC supply is single rail.  Crossair 650 watt.  I have a volt meter, but the power supply will not power up without being connected to the board.  Also, since the plastic is melted, the connector will no longer stay in place.  Thanks.

MP

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, »
You can not run the kind of current we are running over just the large connector. You need the other connectors hooked up. If anyone else is doing this please refer over the post and videos where I talked about this and fix it before you have damage like this on your hub.

If you are running a couple of string with a handful of nodes it would not be an issue but anything normal would require the additional conductors to be used. 

MP sorry you had issues. I can check and see if I have a hub I can loan you. I think I sent it to LSP so I might not but if you can't find one elsewhere let me know.

If you pm me be patient I am behind again and busy packing EtherDongles for shipment so not sure how quick I can catch up.

RJ

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, »
No worries and thanks for the offer.  hbomb341 has another hub I just purchased.  I also ordered a new PS from newegg and hope to be running again next week.  Lesson learned.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, »
Added note to wiki active hub about using the extra connectors

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tng5737

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, »
Could you quantify what amperage can be safely drawn using the main connector and also the smaller connectors?

Offline mokeefe

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, »
If you do want to test whether the power supply is still functional you can use a paper clip or small piece of wire to jump from the green wire on the 20 pin connector to any black wire (you can use the one right next to it).  This will allow the supply to power up without being connected to the hub (or PC) and test the voltages with a voltmeter. Of course that won't help with your melted connector but you might still be able to make use of the supply somehow.

-Mike

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, »
Could you quantify what amperage can be safely drawn using the main connector and also the smaller connectors?

According to Mouser the 24 pin connector is rated for 6 amps and the 4 pin connectors are rated for 10 amps each

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, »

According to Mouser the 24 pin connector is rated for 6 amps and the 4 pin connectors are rated for 10 amps each

Rick R.

Per connection not total.

RJ

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, »

I would use what I have said before as your guide, If you are doing anything more than hooking up a string on the bench to test or play with you need the other plugs. It was not design to run without them hooked up.

RJ

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, »
So basically just use all of the plugs to distribute the current between the 4 plugs?

So the wiki should say to "Always use the 24 pin plug and the 3 4-pin plugs to power up the hub and SSCs/lights"

That would seem to be a safer statement (in my brain anyway)

Rick R.

Now I wonder how I hooked mine up??

Offline rimist

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, »
As a former technical editor, I'd say this is the spot where you should include a point blank warning immediately after your instruction Rick: FAILURE TO CONNECT 4 PIN POWER WILL RESULT IN HUB FAILURE AND POSSIBLE FURTHER DAMAGE.

Word it however you wish.

- Rimist

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
- Rimist

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, »
I for one will be fixing my connectors tonight! I only have the 20 pin on my first hub! :o

BTW Mickpat I have an extra unbuilt hub if you would like me to send it to you to borrow!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, by rdebolt »

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, »
Thanks rdebolt for the offer.  I was able to buy a board from another member and it arrived yesterday and today my power supply from newegg arrived.  I am back up and running!  The full color LED mega tree looks great!  :D