Author Topic: SS Setup/Running Problems  (Read 2603 times)

Offline kpurcell

SS Setup/Running Problems
« on: December 12, 2011, »
Ok, finally have my Lynx USB dongle, active hub, SSCs assembled and PICS programmed. But I'm having problems controlling the Smart Strings. I've tried the components separately and all seem to work.

I put the testing firmware on the SSCs and all 5 100 node strings worked great! Ran them about 30+ hours with no problems or rainbows. RGBW sequenced ok. Put the regular firmware on the SSCs.

From the above test the hub is supplying power. All the PICS return the proper checksum values.

Setup the dongle and profile in Vixen. The red power LED is on and the green data light flashes when I use the channel tester but no joy on the lights. Checked the com port and drivers, they are correct.

When I try the SS utility to setup the strings the green LED on the dongle doesn't flash. Same Com port and settings as when using Vixen.

What can I be missing?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: SS Setup/Running Problems
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, »
First make sure you loaded the pixelnet firmware in the dongle
Then to use vixen you need the pixelnet plugin

The dongle firmware is in the wiki equipment page and the vixen plugin is in the wiki software page

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline kpurcell

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, »
Rick, thanks for the response! I do have the pixenet firmware in the dongle and the appropriate vixen plug in. I will certainly give them both another shot.

I'm mostly having trouble with the SSC utility. It flashes transmit on the bottom of the screen but the green led on the dongle doesn't flicker as it does with vixen.

BTW, how to use the test jumper on the dongle?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, »
The test jumper on the dongle is not active in the dongle firmware so it doesn't do anything.

So when you are using the SS utility and the SSC is in program mode does the nodes flash white when you click on the transmit button?

If the lights flash white then just ignore the leds on the dongle. If nothing is working then the software is not getting though the dongle to the ssc and nodes. It should work just like the video RJ posted (smart string demo 2 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, »
When you say the SSC has the correct checksum - I am going to assume you have not ran the SSC config util to set mode, address, string type etc - as this will change the checksum for the firmware if you read it after SSC config.....

MYk

Offline rm357

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, »
Make sure both pixelnet universe jumpers on the hub are set to one.

Ust the color picker utility to test- simple setup and it transmits the entire universe.

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline kpurcell

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, »
Thanks for everyone's help!

Seem's I cannot communicate with the SSCs through the hub.

The strings test fine with the test firmware. Put the Firmware 7-10-2011 on and try to configure my strings with the SSC config utility v 1.0 it transmits but nothing happens. The pixel nodes do not flash as in RJ's video. I get nada.

If I run vixen or the color picker the dongle data led (green one) flashes. The data led does not flash at all with the SSC config utility. Same com port! I used FTDI Com Port List utility and it verifies the com port used and the FTDI drivers are good.

I reviewed the instructions on assembling the SS Hub. Looks good, green power LED on. I have the optional 12 volt parts installed but they are not being used. The voltage on the regulators looks good: 5 volts & 3.5 volts. The ICs are in the proper places and oriented properly. Haven't found any solder bridges or cold solder joints, the pic returns the proper checksum for a Pickit 3 programmer (8196). Same for the other pics in the dongle and SSCs.

The data pigtail wire colors are in the correct order (left -> right: Orange/White, Orange, Blue/White, Blue, Green/White, Green, Brown/White, Brown). The power/ground/data wires are correct, would let the magic smoke out otherwise.

Total loss as to what to check now. If I had another hub I would swap it out but I only got one. Not mission critical, I'm not relying on this equipment for a show for this seasons I was just trying it out for next year.

Any ideas? I could take a pic from an SSC and program it for the hub just to check that it is not the pic in the hub.

Offline z327

• my personal Christmas lighting web site
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, »
Might not be a hub issue if the dongle green LED does not flash with Pixelnet firmware onthe dongle PIC.
Do you have the latest version of the SSC start address programming utility?

The SSC firmware latest version requires the latest program version according to the WIKI.

Does this dongle work as a dmx dongle with the appropriate firmware?
80 Channels LOR, 112 Channels Lynx Express
16 Channels MR16 with 5 Mighty Mini's
2 SmartString HUBs
LedTriks
5,000 LEDs lights, 50,000 incandescent lights, 3,600 RGBs
30 Strobes
15 Snow Lights

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, »
Make sure when you program the SSC(s) to put the programming jump ON.  Then remember to take the programming jumped in SSC back OFF before using them.  I'm talking about programming with the smart string utility where you assign the pixelnet channel ranges.

Then, depending on the type of smart string items your using, the RGB wiring on the SSC might vary.  Its not always red, green blue ... so check to make sure the SSC your using is using the Red, Green, Blue wiring on the 3-wire output side that your SS items are expecting.  So even though the cat5 wires are always hooked up the same way, the other side might not be.  Check it.

You might also just try programming each for string mode only and see if that makes testing easier at first.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline kpurcell

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, »
The SSC firmware latest version requires the latest program version according to the WIKI.

The only SSC utility I'm aware of is version 1.0, is there a newer one that is not listed on the  wiki?

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, »
Just in case... did you program and check the firmware for the hub's PIC in the hub.  I did have that as a problem once.  The power will still allow the SSC test mode to work, and the programming would fail.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, »
The power/ground/data wires are correct

what order?   

and what types of nodes being used?

are you mixing types of modules/nodes on the same SSC ?  (do not)
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline kpurcell

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, »
Just in case... did you program and check the firmware for the hub's PIC in the hub.  I did have that as a problem once.  The power will still allow the SSC test mode to work, and the programming would fail.

I've checked the PIC. I even moved over a PIC from a SSC. Reprogrammed of course!

Offline kpurcell

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, »
The power/ground/data wires are correct

what order?   

and what types of nodes being used?

are you mixing types of modules/nodes on the same SSC ?  (do not)

Wires are R->G->B left to right when looking down on the SSC with the wires towards you (bottom).

Regular pixel strings 100 nodes each. I have five strings.

All the same strings, no mixing with other nodes.

I have another Lynx Dongle so I'm now going to build that to see if it helps.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, »
Have you tried Color Finder to see if the nodes can be controlled by the computer?

Rick R.