Author Topic: SSC behavior near end of address range  (Read 807 times)

Offline rm357

SSC behavior near end of address range
« on: December 16, 2011, »
OK, first I admit that I was being lazy.  ::)  I was setting all of my SSCs for 128 nodes. It's not like the bits streaming out of the last LED are going to damage anything...

The bottom SCC for my sign (using rigid strips) starts at address 3735 with node #120 on the fourth strip ending at 4094, only with 128 nodes programmed, the end address is actually well beyond the 4096 last address.

What happened - that controller was always a frame behind.    ???
I'm guessing that it was waiting for the next data packet to fill the rest of the output buffer before sending the data out to the strings.

When I dropped the SSC down to 120 nodes, it now runs in sync with the rest of the sign.   ;D

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: SSC behavior near end of address range
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, »
Always good to be in the habit of putting the correct info in the SSC.  If you overstate the nodes and then do a chase across strings you would get a gap in time while the missing node tried to light up.  That would look awkward also.  Being lazy and not wanting to count the nodes for my gutters and roof ridge after I cut them to length I configured an SSC for 128 nodes.  Then I attached the string and used the xlights test function to turn on the quantity of lights I think I have.  Then I adjust the count and repeat until I get the exact number of nodes.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rm357

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, »
I just make sure all the SSCs start in the right place. If the other nodes were there, they would just be mirroring the nodes on the next string. Every SCC receives the entire universe and just picks out the data for the channels that it is supporting.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, »
You are correct that is exactly what was happening.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Always good to be in the habit of putting the correct info in the SSC.  If you overstate the nodes and then do a chase across strings you would get a gap in time while the missing node tried to light up.  That would look awkward also.  Being lazy and not wanting to count the nodes for my gutters and roof ridge after I cut them to length I configured an SSC for 128 nodes.  Then I attached the string and used the xlights test function to turn on the quantity of lights I think I have.  Then I adjust the count and repeat until I get the exact number of nodes.

The actual SSC doesn't care if it is programmed with more channels than it has, but where you would run into problems is in your sequencing software. I programmed all of my SSC with 120, as I was only using Flexstrips. But once I got a few of them up on my roofline, they were too long, so I cut off the extra. I did not go back and reprogram the controllers. But when I added them to LSP, I made a sequence of solid colors to make it easier to count them. I deleted the channels out that weren't there in the software.

Once I take them down, I may go back and reprogram the controllers anyway, mainly because I wasn't paying attention when I first started as to which channel was red to start with. So the first 6 controllers start their first channel on wrong numbers, so if I use the color picker program, it turns on the wrong color on those strips. So I have red on some of them, green on another and blue on another, if slide up just 1 slider. I don't do roofs, and the friend I got to come help me with the 4 strips up on the high part of my house have remained. The rest of them I can reach with a ladder, so fixed what I could.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL