Author Topic: Smart String Good Story  (Read 3778 times)

Offline Freebird

• Coop Manager
Smart String Good Story
« on: May 13, 2011, »
Hey all.  I thought it would be fair if I mentioned a good story about smart strings, since it seems that some are having issues with them.  When I got my smart strings nodes awhile back I tested them out and had a few (23 out of 800) that had some issues.  Last week I contacted Ray Wu via chat on AliExpress and even though I had already cleared the payment a month ago or so, I told Ray that I had 23 that had issues.  I was very cordial to him and returned the same.  He asked me if I wanted to have them replaced now or wait until I made another order.  I told him that I wasn't sure when I would be making another order that I had everything I was planning for already.  A few days later i got an email from him with a DHL tracking number and the following day a package was on my doorstep.  Inside the package was a string of 25 nodes, a string of 10 nodes  and a string of 5 nodes that are different than what I had. ( They are the 4 wire type with larger circuit boards but still the straw hat type node).  I contacted Ray and told him that he put more nodes than I had bad in the package he sent and an extra 5 nodes of a different string.  Almost immediately I got an email back from him saying.  The extra nodes were a gift and the different nodes was something special for me to try out to help because of my troubles.  I thought this was a nice gesture from him and the extra fast shipping was also really nice.  I thought I would share with you all that not all smart string stories are bad and some actually are good.

Freebird
One day I will fly out of the fog and all of this will be seen clearly!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Smart String Good Story
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, »
Many thanks for Sharing

Good story, overall I think Ray is a good guy but he did fail on doing quality control of the orders. I know he doesn't make them but his job was to inspect them. At least there are positive signs that quality is improving.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, »
I just helped a friend (and member here) test his nodes and modules ... just rcvd recently ... and they were all good ... much improved.  The only thing we saw was a loose wiring connection on one node.  Everything worked fine and they actually send a few extra nodes by accident, not the other way around.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline Pete

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, »
I thought that I would post my update here under this topic rather than posting where I had previously posted (SS poor quality).

Ray has made good on replacing all my strings though this has taken some time, it has been almost three months from when I first ordered them.

Thank you RJ for telling me to be steadfast in my request to Ray for replacement rather than to settle for repair parts and a lot of re-work to be done by me!!

I received all replacement strings yesterday and tested them today. . . .

Everything was packed in static bags!!

Upon inspection I see the quality has improved greatly over the first batch of lights I received.  There are no components coming out of the castings.  The wires are well into the castings and with that there are no bare wires exposed.  There is still room for improvement as the circuit boards still are coming very close to the surface of the casting only about 50% were centered within the casting, nothing exposed though.  The wires are sealed much better and I do not believe I will have to add any sealant.  Even after pulling on the wires to separate the three wires going in and three wires going out the seal that was applied appears to be adequate and did not peel out.

Node count was spot on for each string.

The only quality issue I had is 3 bad nodes that I will gladly fix.  Of the three - one a bad solder joint in the casting causing 13 nodes not to light at the end of the string, another had RB but no G in the RGB and the third bad node (the first in the string) caused all the lights in the string to blink on and off white only.  This was easily corrected and repairs made in short order.

All-in-all it has been a long road to get acceptable nodes, but Ray has made good in providing replacements.

Case closed!!!

Pete

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, by Pete »

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, »
Ray also agreed to replace my 25 nodes as well.  He included them in my latest order and didn't charge any additional shipping.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, »
Glad to hear it! By making them take care of us we get the Quality raised so the rest of the members ordering do not have to spend 3 months to get good stuff.

We also prove they will take care of us if there is a problem but you must stand up for yourself. I would expect to not continue to see any issues as the fix was changing some stuff to make it more idiot proof to make them as he explained to me. I am also glad because I will likely be ordering more in the next short period for myself.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, »
These reports are encouraging, I have been putting off ordering until I was able to complete the hub and dongle, but I also don't want to get caught in the August frenzy to order lights and have to try getting bad node or miscounts replaced in October or November. I may have to go ahead and pull the trigger.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline mnarel

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, »
l'll share my smart string story as well just so everyone has another benchmark:

I had an insanely (to me) large order and was very concerned based on some of the other experiences posted.   I wanted to order some othre things from Ray as well, so I emailed him and told him my order details.  I told him I wasn't in a huge rush and that I knew production times were pressing him a bit.  I did not say anything about quality.   I asked him for a quote and to tell me when he'd like me to place the actual order.

Within a day I had a quote back that cut the total individual shipping expense calculated by aliexpress down by over 60%.   He asked if I would wait a week or so before placing the order. 

About 5 days later I decided to make a change (delete a couple of small things and add several others).  I sent Ray another email and he promptly sent me a new quote for the changes.

Another week and he sent me an email saying I could place the order using the invoice he'd sent.  I ordered that day using Aliexpress escrow.

7 days later I got the shipped confirmation along with a DHL tracking number.

3 days after that I had the package in hand. (Astonishingly fast)

Here was my order list

42 ea  128 node strings
6 ea  30amp 12V power supplies
3 ea 20 piece 3node RGB squares
1 1x6 DMX splitter
100 white 4 pin waterproof connectors

Everything was packied profesisionally in static bags (nodes) and individual boxes, then padded and placed in shipping boxes (which were pretty beat up).   All the node strings were dead on for counts. and manufacturing was consistent and good  (better than the last batch of led xmas strings I bought from Walmart).

On the nodes:

Measurements centerline to centerline of each node are 3.25" and are very consistant.  Clearly they used 3.5" wire, but loset1/8" on each end for the connection and vertical exit.    This was fine by me as I needed shorter still.   The nodes themselves are all straight and cleanly sealed (all 5376 of them) and look good (I haven;t had time to light them up yet... it took two days to count them all).   There is plenty of sealent at the joint.

The weekest point is the waterproofing at the joint and as an engiineer I feel compelled to comment.   This is either a design flaw or a cost savings depending on how you look at it.   Since the wires exit the node perpendicular to the wire run, there is inevitabley a separating strain between them.  It doesn't matter how much you goop the sealent on them, without some kind of strain relief they will separate.   The addition of a strain releif collar or the redesign of the nodes with a wire exit parallel to the line direction would solve this, but obviously add to the cost as well.

In my case I needed a shorter distance between nodes anyway so I bought a roll of twist tie wire, cut pieces at 2.5" ea and tied the wires together about 1/4" below the node and attached the node to a lenght of black 550cord (para-cord) with the same tie.  This gave me a 2.5" spacing and good strain relief.   With the node wires held together at the exit, a drop of epoxy at the joint should keep it sealed nicely.   This method has the extra benefit of stiffing up the entire line a bit and keeps all the nodes oriented in the same diirection .  (placing the twist tie on the wires flush to the bottom of the node results in slightly less, but decent strain relief and a 3" overall spacing when attached to the 550 cord)

Overall, my experience with Ray Wu has been exemplary.  They've obviously dealt with the manufacturing quality issues and all that's left is the design issue.  If you give Ray a bit of early warning, it seems to alieviate the shipping timeline stress and bogus tracking numbers as well.  Granted, mine was a pretty large order, but I did not make any references to quality concerns or try and use the order size to push for special treatment.   Obviously I can't speak for anyone elses order expereince, or what mine might be on the next time round... but for what it's worth, I couldn't have been happier with this one.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, »
Hi mnarel,

Sounds like you did great with your order.

I will make one comment: As far as a the string nodes having a design flaw. Those string nodes are designed to be installed in signs. If you look at the top you see how it fits into a hole in a plate so they don't need a strain relief. So technically we are using them wrong. Hopefully one day someone will design a better string node that we can use.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline Rbar

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, »
You are going to put a drop of epoxy on each of 5,000+ nodes?
I'd get a cramp!   ;D
Rbar

Offline mnarel

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, »
You think the epoxy is bad... I twist tied 256 nodes to 550 cord last night.... Holy Crap!!! er... I mean... Merry Christmas!!! I need to hire me some elves.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, »
I feel you pain  ;D

When I use twist ties I put on a pair of auto mechanics gloves. That seems to help along with pliers

Cheers

Rick R.

Offline dmoore

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, »
Hopefully one day someone will design a better string node that we can use.

A commerical vendor that sells these (at about twice the price of SS nodes) uses an expoxy instead and he claims they don't have any issues.  See the closeup of an eariler verson of those nodes.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, »
I'll add that not only did Ray send me replacement nodes, but he sent more than was required, and quickly, so I was impressed and very satisfied.

[ updated 5/27 ] After checking the new nodes, 3 had slightly exposed circuit boards and several more were not well placed (very crooked, but not exposed) and one had exposed wires, so still a 5-7% defect rate on my latest order (which is better than the first order, which had around 19% of nodes with defects).

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, by taybrynn »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, »
Hopefully one day someone will design a better string node that we can use.

Why do I feel this was pointed my way. Could it be cause you know I already did?   ;D

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying