Author Topic: Important things to note about Smart string setup and usage  (Read 1714 times)

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
Hello all,

Hoping this can be a useful constructive thread.  The idea is to post only those things that people should be aware of for using and deploying smart strings.  Please only post if you have a pointer or guideline that users should be aware of.

Admins: IF this shapes up to be a useful constructive thread please consider making it a sticky.

1) Resistor change:
The 330ohm resistor on the SSC was replaced by a 150ohm resistor.  This was to increase the current on the data signal sent to the nodes.  It is recommended for all nodes (i.e. not necessarily for square, rectangle rigid strips or flex strips though you can safely make the mod for those lights as well.)

2) Capacitor change:
The first batch of SSC circuit boards were silkscreened with a 10uf mark on the ceramic capacitor.  RJ changes the specs on this capacitor to be a 4.7uf capacitor.  The BOM on the wiki is using the correct part.

3) Please be sure to use the proper version of firmware and Smart string utility.  Miss matches in version may cause issues. RJ includes the date string in the filename of the utility and firmware, at least currently, so this is easy to do.

4) Programming of PICs should be done with the PICKit utility for your particular picKit (i.e. pickit 2 or 3) and NOT MP Lab

5) cutting flex strips
Watch RJs video: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Be aware of the diode used on every third section and follow RJs guidelines in the above video:

6) connecting cut flex strips together
This may be problematic. see this thread for details: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

7) troubleshooting smart strings
There has been lots of discussion on this topic in the forums. In general here is my quick list: (all done assuming you use the test firmware)
a) look for nodes that act erratic:
  If you pull on the strings lightly by a node do the lights start to work?
  If you squeeze a node do the lights start to work?
  If so try removing this node from the string and see if things still work.

If the above does not yield results my preferred method is to take a binary search approach:
      Cut the string in half and test both sides.
      If either half is still failing then proceed to repeat the troubleshooting on that half.
      repeat this process again and again till you have found the problem node. 
            assuming only one node is dead this would translate to 7 cuts on a 128 node string

8) Seal your nodes.
These is some debate on this topic and the production runs of nodes at different times throughout the year may have different quality and waterproofing so use your judgement here.  If you are going to seal them the recommended product is plasti dip clear. Video from RJ is here:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I found the dip and thinner here:

9) There are useful software tools on the wiki:
Rick's FTDI port list and color finder are quite helpful on the PC side

I am sure there is much more and I hope that someone finds this helpful.  Please only reply to the thread with more helpful posts that can help make this process easier for people.

I hope this is helpful.

Frank

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
nice collection of information, thanks!
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline fbinthesouth

Why not mplab? It seemed to work w my pickit 3.

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
Why not mplab? It seemed to work w my pickit 3.

mplab can be used, but if all your settings aren't set correctly it can cause issues.

The PICKit utitlity is easier to use and everything will be set automatically.

Offline fbinthesouth

I don't even have a pickit utility. Never had a problem with mplab but might want to download the utility for the future.
Thanks-
R

Offline jess_her

I agree MP utility is easy er to use, I only used mp lab for diagnostics. Thank you Frank great info, Wiki material???  Ahh side note,  mp lab is hard core DYI!
Only limitations in life is your imagination

Offline fbinthesouth

Good info-
Maybe say that the utility is easier to use than MPlab since you CAN use Mplab. It would be more accurate....
But good stuff- keep it coming.