Author Topic: Stuck in a comfy place!  (Read 1568 times)

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
Stuck in a comfy place!
« on: December 26, 2013, »
First off, let me say congratulations to all who've stuck with it. I really am impressed with the new stuff. (Well, new to me) RGB nodes etc. I have purchased several myself but have not taken the plunge yet. Nothing wrong with the stuff, just LIFE seemed to be getting in the way for a while.

This year believe it or not I'm going to attempt to finally put together my 1st version Aethers. (Nothing wrong with your eyes/ears, you heard right) then on to finally put together my smart strings and controllers (also 1st version). This is really exiting as I love the challenge. That being said I find myself reluctant to let go of my tried tested and true version 2.0.1 Vixen. Suddenly I'm feeling a bit OLD. I really did just start this obsession in 2007. Really! Doesn't seem so long ago but ages have gone past circuitry wise. I'm going to have a bit of a learning curve.
Like I said, I am excited about the RGB challenge, the jury's still out on whether I can get it to fit in my display. I don't know how to say it, so I'm just going to go ahead and say it. I'm very passionate about Christmas and the whole thing and I only do this for the little ones. I just don't want it to start looking like Vegas and not like Christmas.  <yk.. I've already let my age show so going all out. I really seem to have a love affair with the old incans and its not popular but hey I've never been accused of that! Admittedly, some of the newer LEDs are starting to look a tiny bit more like incans but still have a way to go.

Just a little curious if I'm alone?

Thanks for the vent.

I truly hope all are having a wonderful Christmas and New Years.

Leon

Offline tbone321

Re: Stuck in a comfy place!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, »
Make sure to replace that solder paste before attempting to assemble them.  The slder paste that they came with has long expired.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline tjbrickner

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, »
Age doesn't have much to do with that statement IMHO.  I know what you mean by the Vegas reference, I'm liking the art side of this hobby and while I can say I haven't found this in the users from this community; I have saw a few displays where it was "just for the sake of blinking."  If that makes sense.

No real coordination between the elements and nothing went with the music.  I have however, viewed a lot of displays from the members here and been inspired.  I think it's just about getting the right mix.

P.S. +1 to tbone's comment.
Afraid of heights and I'm still always on the roof...

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, »
Thanks for the responses guys and thanks for the advise on solder paste. (I hadn't thought about that)  <fp. 
Leon

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, »
I started out last year with RGB just on my roof line.  Like you've mentioned, the colors aren't 100% like the old school lights, but I found with the faceted covers that most colors (w/ the exception of white) get pretty close.  After seeing the storage difference and in most cases the cost savings, I decided to switch alot of elements to RGB.  This year, I added 10 Arches and an 800 pixel 13' mega pixel tree in addition to switching my window/garage frames over to pixels.  I kept some old incan mini trees and added 6 pixel mini trees.  You can tell the difference, but I think both have their advantages and "looks" that make them great!  I'd say do what works best for you.  For me, I wanted complex colors, ease of storage, multiple holiday uses, so RGB was the direction I headed this year.  I like the look of the old incan displays, but also know for my application RGB makes more sense.  In the ends, it's all in what you want to "be" in your display.

Duane

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, »
Your not alone. I'm an incandescent guy and only use white, red and green. I tried a mega tree this year with LED's and have had nothing but problems with the strands going out or staying half lit (I know it's a grounding problem). I'll probably use good old mini's on the tree next year.  :)

Offline drlucas

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, »
I'm a bit torn on this one and not sure if it's a generation thing or not. I'm 40 and grew up just outside of  Niagara Falls on the Canadian side. As a kid we'd go for drives and look at the lights on Christmas eve. It was fun to see all the real fancy lights always setup in Niagara Falls. It was a bit much I admit but never being to Vegas I can't say if it was over the top. I have been to Disney in November about 5 years ago and I'll say that was a bit too much.

Being in my first year of any sort of animated lights I'm trying to have an impressive display (that has a wow factor to it) but also trying to find a way to make it Christmas and not just a light show. I started out with two non-Christmas songs and removed them from the playlist and settled on just 8 Christmas songs. We will see what next year holds for the display, but I think next year will be less about the wow and more about fixing the flaws from this year.

Great discussion topic. Btw I never knew there was a shelf life to solder. I'll write the year on the top of my spool so I know the best before date :)
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Great discussion topic. Btw I never knew there was a shelf life to solder. I'll write the year on the top of my spool so I know the best before date :)

The shelf life applies to solder paste not solder.
Leesburg, FL

Offline winwin

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, »
I too only use red, green and white incandescent lights and love the look of these 3 colors combined. I bought a few RGB to make arches with them but they never made it in my show this year. I am interested by the technology of the new stuff and would enjoy the challenge it creates working with it; this is what may drive me to give it a try but I am not sure I am ready to switch to a different kind of display/show yet.
Only a few houses in my area are now decorated with LED strings but the vast majority is regular incandescent. I am not worried about "popularity" or "old fashion" look of incandescent lights and that people will not stop in front of my house to appreciate the show because I only have incandescent lights. Power consumption is a different debate and I certainly would not mind having LEDs only for that reason!

AL.

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, »
Age doesn't have much to do with that statement IMHO.  I know what you mean by the Vegas reference, I'm liking the art side of this hobby and while I can say I haven't found this in the users from this community; I have saw a few displays where it was "just for the sake of blinking."  If that makes sense.

No real coordination between the elements and nothing went with the music.  I have however, viewed a lot of displays from the members here and been inspired.  I think it's just about getting the right mix.

P.S. +1 to tbone's comment.

Make perfect sense and that's just it. It is about the ART for me. Although sometimes it seems like my Achilles heel. People drive off confused by only a few lights being on not realizing I'm telling a story. Other people get it and are hooked and stay to watch the entire show. This year is the exception for me as I wasn't sure there was even going to be a display. I was frankly glad to finish in time. (If you can call the 15th "in time")

So although the sequencing may not be what I want, at least its up but the move is over, the job seems to be going well, the house is secure, and the bills are paid. So, I finally have some time to devote and can start early on next year and that motivates me.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, by WWNF911 »
Leon

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, »
Power consumption is a concern. 2012 was my first year and I knew I was close to the maximum amount of power I could draw from my panel. I added the mega tree this year and knowing I was close on my maximum draw I used the LED's. If I want to add to the display this next year I will need to upgrade my panel and possible add a couple of sub-panels $$$. I'm not sure I can afford the additional costs  <fp. Momma says I'm over my budget now!!

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, »
I started out last year with RGB just on my roof line.

That's where I plan to start out as well. Not only makes sense for power consumption but no need to hang so many sets of C9's to get the color changes.
Leon

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, »
Power consumption is a concern. 2012 was my first year and I knew I was close to the maximum amount of power I could draw from my panel. I added the mega tree this year and knowing I was close on my maximum draw I used the LED's. If I want to add to the display this next year I will need to upgrade my panel and possible add a couple of sub-panels $$$. I'm not sure I can afford the additional costs  <fp. Momma says I'm over my budget now!!

Here too. And Momma is boss. Just moved but did bring the sub panel with me. >:D

Just not looking forward to the cost of the electrician to install.   <yk..
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, by WWNF911 »
Leon

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, »
I have been to Disney in November about 5 years ago and I'll say that was a bit too much.

That's where I moved to. Like I said Momma is boss.  ::)  I just saw Osborne lights for the 1st time this year. I'm OK with it. I expect no less at Disney. Would I do that to my house?  Uh no..

Being in my first year of any sort of animated lights I'm trying to have an impressive display (that has a wow factor to it) but also trying to find a way to make it Christmas and not just a light show. I started out with two non-Christmas songs and removed them from the playlist and settled on just 8 Christmas songs. We will see what next year holds for the display, but I think next year will be less about the wow and more about fixing the flaws from this year.

IMHO, good call on the non-Christmas songs.   <wd..
Leon

Offline arw01

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, »
I've been heavily focused by seeing Zwillers less is more approach and feel really bad for him not getting his show up this year!

However, I will add a fair amount next year, all rgb pretty much.  I have a soft spot for the tinsel characters as my wife hates the blow-molds.  Picked up the cookie monster and big bird to join elmo this year.  If I had gotten then sooner and gotten started way sooner building stuff so I would have had more sequence time, I would have gotten the three of them on a separate channel each so they could sign the very non-traditional fox song.

The fox song cost me some viewers this year, the old folks bus always left when that one came on!  But I really enjoyed that one and PeteandVanessa were kind enought to share their lsp sequence so it was not a dozen hours getting it going.

SO to the point of this whole post.  Putting in a subpanel is not that hard, nor does it need to be that expensive.  if you have the real-estate and the ability to run some new lines easily from it to the outside of the house it's no more difficult than our displays here.

Next year I think i will be running a couple of lines around extra in the garage to bring 40 amps to one spot that I can plug into, and to do the same from the other side of the house that I can easily get another 20 amp line from the full panel to the outside.  I may run heavy enough line to get 50 or 60 amps over that way since the ceiling is open for me 80% of the way in the basement.

There is a heatpump over on that side of the house and since I turn it off for the winter (electricity is WAY more than gas for me), I may check on taping off that 220 line there into a 120v line for more light capacity over the years!

Alan