Author Topic: Just when you begin to ask why do I do this......  (Read 1253 times)

Offline z327

• my personal Christmas lighting web site
First a big thanks to this board and RJ. Added 5 Lynx Express to mine and my neighbors show this year. Didn't get to do all I wanted since we were closing on a new house December 17 and moving on the 18th. Fortunately my daughter and her husband decided to buy our house so we kept it in the family and the lights stayed on.

So back on topic - we were taking down the 60,000 lights and wondering why we work so hard to set it all up and then have to tear it down after a few weeks. It was late in the afternoon and the back was hurting when the mail man dropped off a letter that read:

Greetings 6421 Hillview

Although we have never met you, we are big fans of yours. A little over a week ago we, Beth, Steve and 7 year old Will, were out looking at Christmas lights in the neighborhood. We just happened to come upon your house without knowing of its truly precious value. We felt like discovering it on our own made it more important. Since then we've driven by every night and have just arrived home from our nightly visit.

So, The xxxxx family of Woodbridge hopes you had a very Merry Christmas and hope that your New Year is prosperous and full of light and beautiful music.

I've thrown together a couple videos on Vimeo You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  my daughter's friend had a professional camera and shot HD for me. I still need to edit out a couple cars, but the new house is taking all my fun time. Good news is we have 4 times as much front yard and a lot more roof line.

80 Channels LOR, 112 Channels Lynx Express
16 Channels MR16 with 5 Mighty Mini's
2 SmartString HUBs
LedTriks
5,000 LEDs lights, 50,000 incandescent lights, 3,600 RGBs
30 Strobes
15 Snow Lights

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
Re: Just when you begin to ask why do I do this......
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, »
Yes it is worth! It is nice to know others can get so much from your light show.  I have a story also.  It is called "Finding the Christmas spirit" by REGINA GARVIE.  It was my light show she found  "I saw a sign for a light display in Bridge Creek. I followed the signs, and found the house."

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Ron
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, by trekster »
My 2010 Videos

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, »
Hi Guys

Awesome stories

Many thanks for sharing it with us

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tpctech

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, »
We got a bunch of thank you cards from visitors this year more then ever before.  It make it all worth the work we put into the displays!!

KEN

Offline Al

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, »
nice display

how many channels are on your light polls

Al

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, »
Great display.

What are those lights around the brickwork above the garage doors (also, they're in the frames of the garage doors, around windows, arch over the doorway, etc.)? They look like C9 LEDs?

Thanks for sharing.

\dmc

Offline pugs1501

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, »
I was wondering how long are your arches in the driveway. I was thinking of doing something very close to that at my house next year and was wondering what you were using and how long they were. Your setup looks very.

Offline z327

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, »
As I recall they are 20 feet total. I used PVC. It's been a struggle to keep them up in high winds. I should have used schedule 40 and made the anchor rods they slide over at least 4 feet long.

I use 8 channels for poles and for arches. They seem to program better when in multiples of 4 (4 4 beat on most songs)
2 SmartString HUBs
LedTriks
30 Strobes
15 Snow Lights

Offline z327

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, »
Great display.

What are those lights around the brickwork above the garage doors (also, they're in the frames of the garage doors, around windows, arch over the doorway, etc.)? They look like C9 LEDs?

Thanks for sharing.

\dmc

C9 LEDs with the plastic facetted bodies from Garden Ridge (2008 & 2009)
2 SmartString HUBs
LedTriks
30 Strobes
15 Snow Lights