Author Topic: How have you hung a lot of lights on a wall?  (Read 848 times)

Offline zaccutt

How have you hung a lot of lights on a wall?
« on: October 25, 2012, »
This year I will have a heck of a lot of lights on some walls. I need to make some sort of grid structure to support it all. What are some ways you have done this? Post pics if possible.

I am thinking some sort of black plastic snow fence or maybe a mesh or simply using the lights them selves.

I will be having lights in all different directions plastic tied to something. I know this will basically ruin the lights unless I have a lot of patience in the future lol. I will also put large eye hooks in the rafters thru the soffit with cables to support the grid.

I'm open to any ideas

Thanks

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
Re: How have you hung a lot of lights on a wall?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, »
build a pvc frame to attach to. that way you can build it in sections to make it easier to put up and take down as well as storage. i am using white 1/2 pvc all over my display to box in windows, hang icicles, and outline my roof as well as support 8 snowflakes that i am making for my roof. good luck.

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline meman

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, »
I use the green plastic fence usually kept next to the chain link fence at Home Depot. You'll have to stitch lengths together if you are going to do a wall. Get a ton of cheap zip ties from harbor freight, lay your fencing pieces out (use a heat gun if they won't lay flat) and attach the lights. It takes forever, so I usually watch a movie or have some beers too.
If you make it modular, you can just unplug the sections and roll them up for storage.

Mike E.

Heres a pic of some strips of fencing I used:   
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, by meman »

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, »
I recommend using automotive gloves (mechanic) when working with a ton of plastic and lights. It will save your hands and they are thin enough to "feel" whatever you are working with. I use then all of the time when using zip ties, hanging up the lights, etc.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, »
Nice idea Rick. I never thought of that.

Ron

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, »
That really does save your hands !
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login