Author Topic: Flash Burst Light  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Iced

Flash Burst Light
« on: November 28, 2014, »
Hey Guys, have any of you incorporated a flash burst style light in any of your shows?  I'm looking for something like a very bright twinkle/flash or lightning effect I can include.  Any suggestions?

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
Re: Flash Burst Light
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, »
aether 2 is very bright and can flash rather quick. you'll probably have to wait until next years coop for one though, i have had an add wanting to buy one for over a week now and no responses.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, »
How big of a flash, IF a bunch of flashes, what about strobes?
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline packetbob

• zappedmyself.com
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, »
If you want to do it with incandescent bulbs one trick is to keep the filament heated when off. In other words don't turn them right down to zero but leave some amount of power on to keep the filament warm but not to show noticeable light.. This way the filament will heat up much quicker and give more of a flash response when you increase the power quickly...

Of course I have only seen this done on pinball machines flasher lamps but it should work for outdoor lights.....
zappedmyself.com

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, »
I am aware of folks that have used halogen floodlights facing the audience to give a big flash.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you want to do it with incandescent bulbs one trick is to keep the filament heated when off. In other words don't turn them right down to zero but leave some amount of power on to keep the filament warm but not to show noticeable light.. This way the filament will heat up much quicker and give more of a flash response when you increase the power quickly...

Of course I have only seen this done on pinball machines flasher lamps but it should work for outdoor lights.....

While this will work, it will be nowhere near as effective when you are dealing with a high wattage light.  Large filaments take longer to heat up and cool down and while preheating the filament will shorten that time, it is still no match for a strobe.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, »
I am still waiting for the day when I see someone use an arc welder for their flash of light.  <fp.

of course that has some danger associated with it and I don't recommend nor endorse it.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, »
Well, now we all know how Rick does his flashes of light.    >:D

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, »
I favor a Taser  >:D

Not very bright but it will keep people out of your display.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline Iced

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, »
Awesome ideas guys :-D  Particularly the Taser and Arc Welder :D  I want to temporarily blind, not harm haha

@chrisatpsu "How big of a flash?".  I want a MenInBlack -temporary-blindness kind of flash :D  Sounds like a strobe might be the ticket?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, »
How about this idea. To be honest it might be possible.

Thinking of using a car headlights, since they work on 12 volts dc...
The plan would be a MR16 be the controller and depending on the amps draw of a headlight (I didn't look that up) you might have to use a 12 dc relay to handle the higher amps if required.

Rick R.

btw: Use the High Beam lights of course  >:D
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline zwiller

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, »
I was pleasantly surprised with 8 - 10W led spots.  It's a good compromise of effect and not getting the police called.  Checkout out at 2:35: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Notice the spot on the far upper left?  I had to aim it lower for the sake of the neighbors.  I filmed this in their driveway...  Without neighbors 30W would blind nicely.  Ever face an aether II???  8) 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline Iced

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, »
zwiller!  Awesome video!  I'm keeping my eye our for an Aether :D

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, »
How about this idea. To be honest it might be possible.

Thinking of using a car headlights, since they work on 12 volts dc...
The plan would be a MR16 be the controller and depending on the amps draw of a headlight (I didn't look that up) you might have to use a 12 dc relay to handle the higher amps if required.

Rick R.

btw: Use the High Beam lights of course  >:D

If you are thinking of the car headlight route, then you might want to look for the newer LED car headlights.  Much faster response time, a bluer light, and much lower current draw than the Halogen or standard ican headlights.  But with the cost of them, you might simply be better off buying and building some Aethers.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, »
Thank you. 

You can save some serious coin if you want white only.  This is already 110VAC and you can run em with an Express.  You can find 12VDC options too.  They got a 50W  :o

In all seriousness, if you mount some of these on your house and point em at a public street, I think the cops will be there.  I would try a 10w first...  Also, use sparingly! 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."