Author Topic: 4-core connector  (Read 759 times)

Offline mitch09

4-core connector
« on: December 11, 2014, »
I know it's not "best practice", but can I, in a pinch use a 4-core connector to extend my current cat5 cables.
Let me explain what I am contemplating doing.

I currently have an active hub that resides on my roof, that feeds 10 different SSC. I want to move the Hub down to the ground for troubleshooting purposes, but I have several short runs of cat5 to my windows, all with 4-core connectors to help waterproof. I have lots of Cat5 cables in the 25-30 foot range but not enough long ones to accommodate moving the hub down. Can I just solder on a 4-core connector to both ends of a cat5 (one male, one female) and extend my current cat5 cables to reach my upper windows.

We are having some terrible wind(40mph+) and driving rain out here in the Pacific Northwest. I keep losing RJ45 ports on my active hub, even though it is in a battery box and I am using 4-core connectors on my cat5. My likely suspects are the nodes themselves, but it would be nice to not have to climb up on the roof every time I drop a strand or two from my show.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Offline zwiller

Re: 4-core connector
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, »
I had a similar battle, but on the ground.  I switched from hub+ssc to zoned zeus8's with 3 core and I think it is a better way.  I have seen other members have swapped the pigtail to the 4 core.

I think you're fine since you know what you're doing and simply cannot imagine a hub on the roof.  By all means get it off the roof, easier and safer. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, »
You should have no issue doing that as far as the cable goes.  What you need to watch out for is both the quality and configuration of the 4 pin connectors themselves.  There have been quality issues with both these and the 3 pin connectors and you really need to be sure that the pin you are connecting too is the pin that you need to connect too.  Even though all of the 4 pin connectors have the same 4 wire colors, those 4 wire colors are not always connected to the same pins so you need to confirm the connections with a continuity tester or an ohm meter.  This will also confirm that the connectors are good so you will be killing two birds with one stone. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline mitch09

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You should have no issue doing that as far as the cable goes.  What you need to watch out for is both the quality and configuration of the 4 pin connectors themselves.  There have been quality issues with both these and the 3 pin connectors and you really need to be sure that the pin you are connecting too is the pin that you need to connect too.  Even though all of the 4 pin connectors have the same 4 wire colors, those 4 wire colors are not always connected to the same pins so you need to confirm the connections with a continuity tester or an ohm meter.  This will also confirm that the connectors are good so you will be killing two birds with one stone.

Thanks guys,

I thought I could get away with doing it. I just really need to get that hub off the roof. I hate climbing up there in the dark, wind and rain even if it is pretty flat.  Got stuck up there the other morning when the ladder blew down while I was up there. Thank goodness I had my phone in my pocket and I have a VERY understanding wife ;D

Also, I was amazed this morning when half my display didn't work(a good indicator was one solo tree all lit up in my yard when everything else was dark). My hub on the ground(also in a battery box) had tripped my GFCI after the show had turned off last night.  Inspecting the taped and strapped closed battery box I found water on the bottom of the box and around the power supply.  How did it get in there? I guess a sideways wind could push the rain up the wires under the lid. Anyway, dried it all out and resealed the battery box and all is working again. Thank goodness for corrosion X!!

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, »
My wife doesn't like the look somethings but for most of my controllers that do have to be outside I build a wooden box and then mount the case inside the box which is holding the controller/hub.  That way I have 2 layers of protection.  I haven't had a single issue besides a wife that goes, "That thing is ugly"  Its a black box you can't see at night :)

Offline mitch09

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, »
My wife doesn't like the look somethings but for most of my controllers that do have to be outside I build a wooden box and then mount the case inside the box which is holding the controller/hub.  That way I have 2 layers of protection.  I haven't had a single issue besides a wife that goes, "That thing is ugly"  Its a black box you can't see at night :)
Great Idea. My active hub is actually decently hidden. I may just build a box this weekend to help out. The only battery box visible in my display is the one holding the Zeus for my megatree and it is nearly invisible at night.

Ryan

Offline zwiller

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, »
Live sound guys do this to their power.  It's nicknamed a "dog house".  Seriously.  It looks just like one too, with shingles, etc... 

I am beginning to think I am one of the only guys, but I only use the marine box for my hubs.  All the zeus get CG1500 with power supply on the door.  I keep them sideways to street so less is seen, but they are visable.  Been thinking about some kind of camo wrap for them.   

I used to run real long extension cords from my LE's hiding behind trees.  Long gone are those days, my stuff is neat but everywhere...   ;D
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, »

I have cat5 cables that i replaced one damaged rj45 connector with a waterproof connector.  these are 25' cables that I connect from the hub to my SSCs.  They work great and I've had no water problems in 2 years.

Based on my new layout the 25' is too short.. for some things.  so, I may cat5 waterproof extensions... these use pins 1+2 for pixelnet+ and pixelnet- and they use 3,4,5 for +12v and 6,7,8 for ground.   Using twisted pair for the data allows me further distances for transmission than the 4-core wires will do.

They work great.  my other option was to create new long cables, but having a bunch of extensions gives me more flexibility IMO.

I know it's not "[size=78%]best practice", but can I, in a pinch use a 4-core connector to extend my current cat5 cables. [/size]
Let me explain what I am contemplating doing.

I currently have an active hub that resides on my roof, that feeds 10 different SSC. I want to move the Hub down to the ground for troubleshooting purposes, but I have several short runs of cat5 to my windows, all with 4-core connectors to help waterproof. I have lots of Cat5 cables in the 25-30 foot range but not enough long ones to accommodate moving the hub down. Can I just solder on a 4-core connector to both ends of a cat5 (one male, one female) and extend my current cat5 cables to reach my upper windows.

We are having some terrible wind(40mph+) and driving rain out here in the Pacific Northwest. I keep losing RJ45 ports on my active hub, even though it is in a battery box and I am using 4-core connectors on my cat5. My likely suspects are the nodes themselves, but it would be nice to not have to climb up on the roof every time I drop a strand or two from my show.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, »
Ben over at DIYC used this line repeatedly:

I had a friend run DMX down a barbed wire fence, it worked (2 feet) but that didn’t mean we all should do it.

For testing purposes, it'll probably be OK. As Steve emphasized, you want your D+/D- on a twisted pair (typically orange-white/orange on Cat5) and ground (usually on Pins 7-8, brown-white/brown).

\dmc