Author Topic: Raidmax power supply  (Read 862 times)

Offline mitch09

Raidmax power supply
« on: December 12, 2014, »
Anyone used this brand. I have had terrible luck with my "cheaper" Rosewill power supplies from newegg. I am contemplating trying another brand.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: Raidmax power supply
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, »
Thats an even worse brand than Rosewill, imho.  My rosewill 630w has been solid for 3+ years now.

I highly recc. corsair, antec ... and on a budget I've had recent luck with EVGA ($39.99 on amazon for 500W) ... not sure that big enough for your needs.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline mitch09

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, »
Is the amp rating for the power supply only set form the single 12v rail. I know there are 3 other connectors of 5v on the board. If a power supply is rated at say 62A on the 12v+ rail and another 25A on the +5v can I safely use 50 amps on an active hub. I know general rule is 80%

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, »
I have several of the Rosewill RG630-S12 and they have also been rock solid.  No problems whatever and this is their 3rd year in my show.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, »
No, use just use the single rail 12v rating for max amps only.  I always used no more than 80% of the figure.  You normally only hook up the ATX 14pin and 3 of the old style 12v molex power connectors ... everything else isn't typically used.  I always purchased only a PS which is 80 PLUS rated ... means its pretty efficient ... and also seems to infer a bit of quality also.  The junk supplies are rarely 80 plus rated.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline vttinman

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, »
If you act fast, you can grab an EVGA 750W for 40 bucks: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, »
If you act fast, you can grab an EVGA 750W for 40 bucks: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I hope you acted slow. :(  That power supply has four 12 volt rails, with each rail only rated at 20A.  That is not a good solution for a DLA hub or Zeus which need to use single-rail power supplies.

Offline vttinman

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, »

I hope you acted slow. :(  That power supply has four 12 volt rails, with each rail only rated at 20A.  That is not a good solution for a DLA hub or Zeus which need to use single-rail power supplies.

Can you pick an output from each rail to plug into the hub to get around that?  So if the ATX plug is on rail one, use an output from each remaining rail for the 3 power pins on the hub/Zeus.

Offline mitch09

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, »

The first thing I checked was to see how many rails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, »
Quote from: CaptainMurdoch link=topic=14461.msg178250#msg178250
I hope you acted slow. :(  That power supply has [b
four[/b] 12 volt rails, with each rail only rated at 20A.  That is not a good solution for a DLA hub or Zeus which need to use single-rail power supplies.

Can you pick an output from each rail to plug into the hub to get around that?  So if the ATX plug is on rail one, use an output from each remaining rail for the 3 power pins on the hub/Zeus.

No, the hub and zeus boards have a single 12V plane, so they should only be connected to a power supply with a single 12V rail.  All connectors on the hub and zeus are connected together on the circuit board and plugging them into separate rails on a power supply could let the magic smoke out of the power supply. :)