Author Topic: Ethernet Hub/Switch  (Read 1013 times)

Offline mitch09

Ethernet Hub/Switch
« on: December 16, 2014, »
I am trying to get an active hub moved off of my roof, but have ran into a little snag.

I currently run an etherdongle to an active Hub on my roof. This then pixelnet outputs to another active hub on the south side of my house.

I would like to get the active hub on the ground, but on the north side of my house.

without running a very long cat5 around my house, can I use a simple ethernet hub or switch at my computer & etherdongle which is centrally located to send data from the etherdongle in both directions?

something like this: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Ethernet Hub/Switch
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, »
mostly like no but I am sure someone will prove me wrong  >:D

The ETD puts out pixelnet and not ethernet packets. If the switch/hub does any error checking and or boost the signal it won't work.
You just need two RJ-45 jacks connected together.
Take a spare SSR4 board with nothing on it but the two RJ-45 jacks
Take 2 RJ-45 jacks and a short piece of cat5 cable and solder the wires to the pins (pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, etc)

If you have a hub/switch laying around you can test it yourself. Just don't plug it into an outlet for power.
Connect a cable from a working network port and plug into one port on your unpowered switch. Then take a second cable from that hub (unpowered) and plug into something that will show active (laptop) If you see a connection and or lights flashing on the socket then you can use it.

clear as mud?

Rick R.
(hmm, did I just counter point myself??)
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline mitch09

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, »
mostly like no but I am sure someone will prove me wrong  >:D

The ETD puts out pixelnet and not ethernet packets. If the switch/hub does any error checking and or boost the signal it won't work.
You just need two RJ-45 jacks connected together.
Take a spare SSR4 board with nothing on it but the two RJ-45 jacks
Take 2 RJ-45 jacks and a short piece of cat5 cable and solder the wires to the pins (pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, etc)

If you have a hub/switch laying around you can test it yourself. Just don't plug it into an outlet for power.
Connect a cable from a working network port and plug into one port on your unpowered switch. Then take a second cable from that hub (unpowered) and plug into something that will show active (laptop) If you see a connection and or lights flashing on the socket then you can use it.

clear as mud?

Rick R.
(hmm, did I just counter point myself??)

Rick,

Could I then just use to cat5 pigtails that come with the SSC coops?  Combine the wires and crimp on a RJ45 male to plug into my computer?

Offline caretaker

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, »
You would need a pixelnet splitter You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  to do that. The output of the ether dongle can not be sent through a regular network switch or hub, the data stream is different and the switch/hub would not know how to handle it.

I am trying to get an active hub moved off of my roof, but have ran into a little snag.

I currently run an etherdongle to an active Hub on my roof. This then pixelnet outputs to another active hub on the south side of my house.

I would like to get the active hub on the ground, but on the north side of my house.

without running a very long cat5 around my house, can I use a simple ethernet hub or switch at my computer & etherdongle which is centrally located to send data from the etherdongle in both directions?

something like this: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Jeff Squires

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, »
Just use something like this, pixelnet splitter would be better but these work in a pinch.

Offline mitch09

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, »

Just use something like this, pixelnet splitter would be better but these work in a pinch.
Thx. I'll give it a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk