Author Topic: Wifi interference - source still unknown  (Read 2408 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Wifi interference - source still unknown
« on: December 07, 2012, »
So I'm really trying to figure out why I can't get any decent wifi (2.4 ghz) in my house.  Historically, the lighthshow has often knocked out my DSL model DURING the show, but never outside of the show hours.

And prior to me starting the massive setup ... I did have decent wifi in the house ... even though the unit was in the basement.

This year, the modem is staying stable, and wired connections fine ... but my wifi signal is pathetic ... either no connect or very slow (modem like speed at best).

So I've turned off the lynx wireless --- no effect.  Turned off all cordless phones -- no help.  Turned off wireless keyboards --- no help.

It does almost seem that my problems possibly stem from all of the cords attached to the outside of the house, but most are not pulling any amps during the day ... so still not sure if just the extension cords creates a source of rf noise or what?

SO I moved my dsl modem and intergrated wifi into my office ... and my signal is still lousy.  I tried about wifi unit and also terrible connection and speed.

So at this point I don't know what on earth the source of the rf noise is ... but its also reduced my garage door range to like 4' before you get to the door ... and used to work about 1/2 block away.  Very bizzare.

Any ideas or experiences that could be helpful here?

I"m also thinking about just getting a better wifi unit thats not attached to the DSL modem.  SOmething which is dual band, so hopefully maybe I have a better chance with either band?  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

sjb

Re: Wifi interference - source still unknown
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, »
Has there been any new developments (construction), cell towers, around your area that would cause a just in WIFI's in your area or even new power lines?

Steve

sjb

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, »
Sorry, I also forgot. Have you changed anything in the house like your Transmitter or wireless speakers?

Steve

Offline rdohanyos

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, »
Do you live near an airport? Where I used to live (especially during winter months) the airport would cause interference with my garage door opener. I would have to stand at the door to get to work, then magically 1 day it would work fine again until the next year.

Dual band is nice, but just and FYI the 5ghz  band won't travel as well through objects. The higher the frequency the lower the signal penetration. I have a cisco dual band and love it.

Good luck!

Rob

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, »
No wireless speakers.  I have turned on my EDM FM transmitter, but its outside the house.   Again, never had any problems with the EDM transmitter affecting wifi.  I had been blaming this all on my wireless keyboard and mouse ... but with those out of the picture, its still terrible.

And to my knowledge its not affecting my neighbors much either.

Don't live near any airport and while a new power main was put into our subdivision ... its 5-6 blocks away.

Yes, I have heard the 5ghz range is pretty limited ... but really fast if your close enough.

I mean it could be that the built-in actiontec wifi is terrible or just stopped working.

The whole garage door interference makes me wonder where the intereference is coming from.  I do have a crazy neighbor who could be jamming me ... lol.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, »
Try this program and see how might be interfering with you.

2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Justtazz

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, »
I had this same issue a while back it turns out my neighbor installed wireless cameras on the house that were 2.4ghz.  I had to fiddle around to find a frequency that the cameras did not transmit on.  Any chance someone installed cameras?
Justin
Aurora, Co

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, »
cordless phones are very popular in 2.4GHz.  I remember setting up a new computer at someone's house, and before i left the computer lost the internet. then would come back on, then 5min later, lose connection. I happened to notice it when his wife came in the room to hand him the phone for a call. as soon as he hung up, poof, internet. His wife was constantly on the phone. we tried different frequencies, until we just wired in a drop to this room.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline batdive

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, »
If you have an android phone or know someone that does this app rocks for troubleshooting issues.

Used it to find out the neighbors changed their wifi channel and was causing so,e of my issues.

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, »
playing with the inSSIder......

Feeling a bit toasty at work, remember having to rotate iin my chair to bake evenly....
I know nothing......and I prove it DAILY!!!

Getting crazy ideas and breaking stuff since 1977

Master Electrician/ Electrical Inspector/ Evil Genius (apprentice)

Offline injury

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, »
wow that's a lot of G, noone in your area moved to N yet?  ;D

Offline wwwgator

• S.E. WI
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, »
that is a sample reading taken at my bench at work....there is a bunch of 5GHZ....hard to deseminate with the clustered 2.4....plus I didnt scroll down to show all 54 nodes broadcasting SSids.....

maybe this why I am the way I am..... ???? :o
I know nothing......and I prove it DAILY!!!

Getting crazy ideas and breaking stuff since 1977

Master Electrician/ Electrical Inspector/ Evil Genius (apprentice)

Offline injury

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, »
Very possible, not sure of the type of neighborhood you are in but at least in one instance it looks like someone got a business class access point that lets you set up umpteen different SSID's and figured it was a requirement instead of an option  :D

Edit: The more I think about it the more nuts it seems to have that many. Part of me thinks alright maybe in an apartment complex but then I think about most real world G wall penetration and it still seems crazy. You made any enemies out of neighbors that know you use wireless perhaps someone is doing something like an SSID flood? You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, by injury »