Author Topic: wiki build instructions  (Read 983 times)

Offline typoagain

wiki build instructions
« on: November 06, 2012, »
I am trying to build a Ramsey FM30B. In doing so I have learned something about the build instructions and product design here.

Man, this stuff is WAY BETTER!   <res.

The Ramsey kit has at least half as many parts and it is a LOT tougher to build. 

There are no pictures at all. For me that makes a HUGE difference.

They don't give you any sockets for the large IC chips. Naturally, I managed to get one in backwards. How may of you guys have ever tried to remove a chip with 28 different legs? Mine ended up coming out in maybe 6 different pieces.

Then, we you do manage to screw something up, you don't have near enough information (specs) on the parts to know what to buy to replace it!

<md..    <md..    <md..    <md..    <md..   

Guess what, they also don't have a place on the website to order individual parts!

So my hat is off as I give my heartfelt thanks to everyone who works so hard a keeping the wiki up to date.

<res.   <res.    <res.    <res.    <res.

Plus I have to say thank you RJ and others for spending so much time making sure that the boards are designed so that even idiots like me can actually build then.

I just posted questions on Ramsey's forum on what parts I need. If I don't get so really good help there, I will not be happy.

I have a bad feeling that I am about to spend another $100 to have my brand new Ramsey FM30B fixed at Ramsey's shop.

If so, it will be the last Ramsey kit I ever build.

If Ramsey Electronics was smart, they would hire a couple of you guys to go fix their instructions.

Once again, thanks for making all of this work so well and so easily. :)
One of the new guys in Odessa TX.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: wiki build instructions
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, »
Sorry you are having problems with the Ramsey

Thanks for the kind words and smileys about our wiki

Lots of folks have worked on it.

Rick R. (even me at times  ;))
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline typoagain

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, »
Update on the Ramsey. While it is not designed to be an easy kit to build, I have to admit, their service has been very good.

One simple call and I had a guy who would ether sell me the parts I need or help me order them from someone else.

I ran into more issues when trying to remove parts and damaged some of the traces. At that point I finally decided just ship them the board and see if they could fix my disaster. They said their turnaround was normally < 3-4 days. So I am looking forward to seeing just how they handle all of this.

But if they would have designed their boards similar to what you guys have here their probably would not have been as many issues!

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, »
pretty tight fit...
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline typoagain

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, »
Tight fit is right. I think the holes could be just a tiny bit bigger. They don't use sockets for any of the bigger chips in this kit. I would also have likes heaver traces able to take a bit more abuse.

It's a great kit, for someone heavy into electronics. But is is just not designed for us green beginners.

Also the instructions do not give you much information on where to find the places for the parts, and the labeling is more than a bit small. I tell you. the pictures in the wiki have gotten me spoiled!

But when I got into trouble to the point I broke down and called them they were actually pretty helpful. We'll see if they can fix my disaster and do so at a decent price.

If they can, I might actually get another kit and build it again. I hate to think that the kit got the best of me. Plus I could use a back-up unit.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, »
Radio Freqency based electronics are a whole nother deal and sockets ect create problems, as do long runs of traces and heavy traces. So the design is driving the pcb heavy. They likely would give you more room if possible but they have some limits to keep it a well functioning system.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline typoagain

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, »
Just a short note from those following this thread. On the Ramsey FM30B I sent in for service. Service on that board is a flat rate of...$25.00...INCLUDING SHIPPING!

The people I talked to on the phone were very nice, the repair job was very clean and neat, and the board worked the first time I plugged it in. I am going to switch over this coming weekend and hook up the Ramsey antenna I also got.

I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised at how inexpensive the service was. Far different than I was lead to believe in their printed materials. Now I might just buy another transmitter just so I can try building it again!