Author Topic: Female cat5e wiring configuration for SSC's?  (Read 2032 times)

dandyman

Does anyone know if the configuration for the femal end of the pigtail (cat5e) for the SSC is wired as 'A' config, or as the 'B' config.? I have some female jacks I'm using instead of the pigtails and need to know which configuration to wire them with so I can connect them to the SSC correctly...

Thanks !!

Dan
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, by dandyman »

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: Female cat5e wiring configuration for SSC's?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, »
if the plug matches the jack, then they are "B", if they don't match, then neither  : )
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does anyone know if the configuration for the femal end of the pigtail (cat5e) for the SSC is wired as 'A' config, or as the 'B' config.? I have some female jacks I'm using instead of the pigtails and need to know which configuration to wire them with so I can connect them to the SSC correctly...

Thanks !!

Dan

The Male-to-Female jumpers supplied with the SSC’s are wired T568B on both ends.

For the purpose of this discussion, I am only presenting the typical CAT5e connections suitable for use with DLA devices. 

Most “off the shelf” STRAIGHT-THROUGH (typical computer network) cables use the “B” (T568B) configuration on both ends:
1 -  White w/Orange Stripe
2 -  Orange w/White Stripe (or solid Orange)
3 -  White w/Green Stripe
4 -  Blue w/White Stripe (or solid Blue)
5 -  White w/Blue Stripe
6 -  Green w/White Stripe (or solid Green)
7 -  White w/Brown Stripe
8 -  Brown w/White Stripe (or solid Brown)

DLA devices use STRAIGHT-THROUGH cables.

Cross-Over cables have one end wired as T568B, (above) and the other end is wired as T568A: 
1 -  White w/Green Stripe
2 -  Green w/White Stripe
3 -  White w/Orange Stripe
4 -  Blue w/White Stripe
5 -  White w/Blue Stripe
6 -  Orange w/White Stripe
7 -  White w/Brown Stripe
8 -  Brown w/White Stripe
(DLA devices DO NOT use cross-over cables!)

Some manufacturers (and installers) create their STRAIGHT-THROUGH cables using EITHER T568A on BOTH ends __OR__ T568B on BOTH ends.  T568B on both ends is typical, but should not be assumed.

:) joe
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, »
Where exactly are you finding Cat5 or Cat6 cables where both sides of the color pair have a stripe?  I am just asking because in the past 15 or so years that I have been working with this stuff I have never seen that. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, »
@ tbone321

Please don’t take me wrong, I’m posting to explain myself and my previous post.  I do not mean to be a bonehead, or be critical of you, or uncooperative although this post might be taken as such.

Where exactly are you finding Cat5 or Cat6 cables where both sides of the color pair have a stripe?  I am just asking because in the past 15 or so years that I have been working with this stuff I have never seen that.

“Yep, welp, I ain’t never dun seen a Snipe in the Ozarks ‘either, but dat don’ mean dey ain’t runnin’ roun’ deese here parts.”  (grin)

I believe Southwire or Signal manufactured just such a configuration.  More on this later though.

You’ll notice I included the text “(OR SOLID ORANGE)” as in “Orange w/White Stripe (or solid Orange)” for completeness.  (Attachment DLA-1)

In attachment (DLA-2) to this post, the ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.2-2001 diagram (in the brown box) lists the wire designations by color.  Notice no mention of the white strip with the primary color.

In the same attachment, you’ll note (in the blue box in the diagram) the typical diagram posted in a variety of installation instructions.    Notice the stripe on the primary color.

Another attachment (DLA-3) shows a representation of a drawing on a punch down jack from ICC.  Notice there are no “solid” colors in their A/B diagram.

I meant to be complete with my answer, that’s all.   I never intend to be mean, incorrect or inadequate with my text.  Sometimes I am though, for that I apologize in advance.

History:  My company was called in to reverse the boo-boo of an installation we lost a bid on.  It was a conversion of Arcnet coax and Ethernet coax (probably haven’t seen any of that in your fifteen years either) along with a bunch of token ring connections to a brand spankin’ new Ethernet (10) CAT5.  The installers also boo-boo’d the 50-pair CAT3 teleco.  It was a mess, top to bottom.  The CAT5 cable indeed had stripped primary colors and a fair percentage was punched in the wrong places, many reversed with their sister conductor.  I’m retired and disabled now but next time I’m at that site, I’ll snap a few pictures for you, might even reach in the box of “leftovers” and grab you a sample. 

I know a lot of what I’ve learned was/is incorrect.  You know, the stuff like electron flow used to be (once upon a time) negative to positive (against the LED/diode/transistor arrow), cathode through control/screen to plate along with that getter thingy, no metering across a fuse, MDI/MDIX -- probably played too many voluntary megger shock games (the real definition/application of “meg out”) in the Navy.  Still, an incomplete answer bugs me.  So do insultive answers, even though the word “insultive” is usually more often used as an adjective.   

Too many internet forums expect/demand noob’s be experts in the fields they’re posting elementary questions about.  Many knowledgeable users are hesitant to ask questions.  I don’t know very much about most things, and I dang sure don’t know half of everything about any one thing, but when I ask a question I really hope to get more than a one-sentence half-answer or a link pointing me to nowhereville just so somebody can become a “senior member” with 100-some posts.  When I see a question I think I can contribute, I try to do my best to answer it.  Thoroughly and correctly.   Doc Holliday (Tombstone 1993) quote: “Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!”

In closing, DLA-4 is a request for artwork for the SSC requested off-site.

Offline Newoddity

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, »
Completely almost entirely off topic, though, I remember pulling an all nighter to run coax for the computer lab in my middle school. Spent half the next morning looking for the elusive terminator so that we could test the network. <fp.

I now return you to your previously scheduled thread.
The 2393rd member of DLA!

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, »
I could see why most companies make it with solid colors for one of the pairs, as seems like having the stripes on both could lead to much confusion when wiring and having to determine which color is predominant on the wire.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline rm357

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, »
My caution to all is don't over-think this.  <yk..

Wire the SSC per the instructions
Use a strait through cable - a or b doesn't matter as long as it is strait through  ;)

If I start thinking about this too much, I'll get something swapped and burn out a fuse or a '485 chip... <md..

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, »
Yes, I remember doing the same thing - hunting terminators!   Yipes!!  :)

It's kinda funny, maybe spooky, but the kids built "sculptures" out of T's and M-F's and M-M's and the terminators with the pretty little chains and those sculptures are still on their model car shelves.   I think one of them has over 50 T's!

Also scary, I have three brand-new, never out of the box 16port active ethernet coax hubs and a couple brand new active arcnet hubs.

Completely almost entirely off topic, though, I remember pulling an all nighter to run coax for the computer lab in my middle school. Spent half the next morning looking for the elusive terminator so that we could test the network. <fp.

I now return you to your previously scheduled thread.

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, »
You're correct.  It's a first class ticket for the Twilight Zone Express.  (The fast train, NOT the 16-channel Lynx!)  :)

I could see why most companies make it with solid colors for one of the pairs, as seems like having the stripes on both could lead to much confusion when wiring and having to determine which color is predominant on the wire.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, by JoeFromOzarks »

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, »
Hi RM,

My caution to all is don't over-think this. 

I agree.  Especially not over-thinking the laundry and mowing and washing the vehicles.  Feeding the dishwasher however, is a whole ‘nuther story!    :)

Wire the SSC per the instructions

Right on!

Use a strait through cable - a or b doesn't matter as long as it is strait through  ;)

For the cable, yes, absolutely.  The OP was substituting a non-Ray connector and simply wanted to know whether to use “A” or “B.”  (“B” is the correct answer)

Ah, finally, the last dish.  Now, where did I put the dishwasher soap...

dandyman

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, »
Thanks, All !!

Yeah, I checked the male end of the cables I have and they are wired 'B'... just didn't want to let the magic smoke out of the first SSC I built :-)

Offline rimist

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, »
As a footnote, I was in the Telco business for quite a while. Most cat 2/3/4/5/6 I've seen does have dual color pairs if you look closely. When white is the second color listed it is usually painted on the first color, often barely visible, for example:Orange-white / white-Orange, an almost translucent white is painted in dashes on the Orange, making it practically invisible. Otoh, colors painted onto a white wire show nicely.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, by rimist »
- Rimist