Author Topic: DMX/Pixelnet application question  (Read 1242 times)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
DMX/Pixelnet application question
« on: November 08, 2011, »
I think I know the answer to this, but wanted to be sure.  I have 32 smart strings that I will be using in string mode this year.  I have about 110 other channels from expresses, aethers, etc.  I can fit all of this on one Dongle using Pixelnet (about 205 total channels).  Can I have the smart strings start at channel 1 and my first express start at channel 97?  This is 96 channels (3 colors x 32 strings) for the smart strings and the first express would start at 97.  Or, do I have to "reserve" the first 512 channels for pixelnet items...even though I am only using 96...and then start my expresses @ channel 513. 

I think I can start my expresses on channel 97.  Am I correct?

TIA,
-Keith

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
Re: DMX/Pixelnet application question
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, »
Anyone??

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, »
Keith,
You have 2048 channels that you can use for pixelnet but only the first 512 can be used for dmx. if you want to use the first 96 for pixelnet and the next 110 for dmx you can. You shouldn't have a problem with your setup.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline bcstuff

• Cape Coral, FL 33991
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, »
A pixelnet dongle puts out 4096 channels. If you use the DMX out and pick the 1st universe it will allow you to run regular DMX from the DMX out on those 1st 512 channels. Those channels are still pixelnet channels too, so Keith you could use channels 1-96 off of the Smart String Outputs and then use the 97 and up on the DMX out.

Brian
-Brian
-------------
2017 - Complete makeover, let's just say it's gonna be a few pixels.

2016 - Grad School Stinks :(
2015 - 16' Megatree, 8' MidiTrees, 8' MegaWreath, 6' Snowflake Spinners, Zwilluminariesâ„¢

Our Display Videos: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, »
You should be fine, as others have said.

Your basically talking 100% pixelnet (as far as software side is concerned) to all the channels anyways, and assuming
jumper1 on the SS HUB DMX OUT ... you can do hardward emulated DMX and/or PIXELNET on the first 512 in any combination you want.  Your design sounds logical to me.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rm357

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, »
Your setup will work fine.

The DMX "mirrors" the pixelnet output for the selected "universe". There is a jumper that allows you to assign the DMX output to any of the 8 DMX universes that can fit in the 4096 channel pixelnet universe.

DMX Universe 1 = pix 1-512
DMX universe 2 = pix 513-1024
DMX universe 3 = pix 1025-....

DMX universe 8=  pix 3585-4096

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, »
Awesome.  Thanks for the verification.  I guess the down side of this set up is that it will affect my wireless installation.   :(  Now I will have to put my transmitter outside with the hub or run a second dongle for my "strictly" DMX stream.  Either one is not that bad.

Thanks,
-Keith