Author Topic: Help and a push in right direction  (Read 3714 times)

Offline WinchesterXmas

Help and a push in right direction
« on: September 19, 2014, »
This is my first year sequencing so I really don't know a whole lot about anything. I have (2) LOR controllers w/ the advanced software package. I've sequenced a few songs and I'm pretty much ready to go, will start hanging lights after Halloween. I have a set of (50) GECE lights I bought several years ago. I bought a E6804 Sandevice controller. I have it configured, I've run my tests with the lights and everything seems to be ready to go. My problem now is sequencing and controlling the lights. I have the Demo LOR Superstar software, I've looked and googled quite a few videos on LOR Superstar and all I can find is info for their ribbons. I just simply want to control (1) string of pixels (49 bulbs, 1 bulb got smashed), sequence them in couple of songs, and play with them this Christmas while I have them on my house. If I can master these steps I'll start adding pixels to my display in the future. I'm going to have to shell out some cash to use LOR Superstar for my display (still not sure how to use for a single string) but before do I would like some input on other software options. I'll probably start using other equipment besides LOR as I grow my display. I want to take this in baby steps so I understand what I'm doing as I move on.  Any information and links will be greatly appreciated.

Randy Campbell

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
Re: Help and a push in right direction
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, »
Give vixen 3 a try, it's free
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline arw01

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, »
Lot of people like Vixen 3 and it's had some big updates this year.  I was new last year and bought Light Show Pro, as with all the software steep learning curve, but a great community on all the programs to learn them.

It depends on how big you are going to get, how you like to work etc.  The macros's and transitions in LSP can do amazing effects with little work and time.

Alan

Offline WinchesterXmas

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, »
I just looked at a tutorial on Vixen 3, I actually understood it!!! From what I've read it seems if I sequence something in Vixen, I can't make it a part of the sequences done in LOR. Is my research correct? Anything free is ALWAYS interesting, seems like I might be able to do something with X-Lights. I hate the fact I've spent money on something that doesn't seem to be very good or easy with pixels. This is why I'm taking baby steps from here on, dropped my money on something I already want to change and haven't put up my first light!!! SMH.

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, »
Hls, vixen+, vixen 2.1, vixen3, HLS, xlights are all free. Vixen 3 has the nicest user interface and it has our nutcracker effects built into it. Be aware those effects were from our xlights version 3.0.14 from April 2013. Vixen 3 now can produce a fseq file so u can run vixen 3 data on a raspberry pi. So no sequencer has it all, try them and pick what u like. I use Matt browns xlights. HLS has the best generator making singing faces, has ability to import in xlights effects. I find the user interface harder to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline drlucas

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, »
Hls, vixen+, vixen 2.1, vixen3, HLS, xlights are all free. Vixen 3 has the nicest user interface and it has our nutcracker effects built into it. Be aware those effects were from our xlights version 3.0.14 from April 2013. Vixen 3 now can produce a fseq file so u can run vixen 3 data on a raspberry pi. So no sequencer has it all, try them and pick what u like. I use Matt browns xlights. HLS has the best generator making singing faces, has ability to import in xlights effects. I find the user interface harder to use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One can only hope that really soon xlights/nutcracker will have the best singing faces generator  ;)

I haven't looked at Vixen in about a 9 months....glad to hear that fseq functionality is now there. Their channel setup was also a bit cumbersome before, hopefully they have fixed that up too.

HLS....once you get your head wrapped around the logic of the menu (i use that term loosely) the workflow starts to make sense and it really does a fantastic job with creating singing faces. Watching the tutorials a couple of times helps tremendously so I do recommend that for the HLS piece.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline WinchesterXmas

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, »
Sooo much info! I looked at Vixen 3 hard yesterday and really liked what I saw. I haven't looked at anything w/ HLS yet. Well I guess it's a little too late for pixels in my sequences this year. I will definitely be using different software next year. A couple of final questions, I'm looking over the Lynx Express and the Renard controller kits (I soldered one of my LOR controllers and it works perfectly) which one seems to work best with LOR controllers? Does one of these controllers or a combination of these controllers work better with a certain software? I'm being lazy here, but is the Renard and Lynx controllers daisy chained like the LOR controllers? In anyone's opinion, would it be easier after this year to give my LOR controllers to my brother-in-law (he too loves Christmas lights and drooled when he saw them) and get some brownie points from my wife. If it's cumbersome to frankenstein LOR equipment with other stuff, I will do this.  I hate to scrap my LOR stuff but I'm in it for the long haul. I thank everyone for their opinion.

Offline arw01

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, »
The lynx and the lor get discrete channels assigned, none of that confusing strip these channels off and pass these along stuff.  I just bought some LOR floods with their DC controller board on the sale and it's got a DMX mode which is all I will ever use it with.  Welcome in for sure, up to 5 lynx myself and 6K-8K in rgb channels.  Get a little bigger next year, but think I will be pretty much stable and done then and can concentrate more on sequencing than on building props!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, »
You can keep your LOR stuff if you wish but once you start adding in equipment from others, you will lose that built in functionality.  The LOR controllers when using their proprietary control language, have built in functions such as fade, twinkle, shimmer, etc.  Unfortunately, neither Lynks or Renard equipment understands native LOR control codes.  Lynks equipment uses either DMX or PixelNet (depending on the device) and Renard uses their own proprietary language. 

I do believe that the success of the Lynks Express (LE) motivated LOR to set up their controllers to also work with DMX which also happens to be an industry standard protocol.  Since DMX is a simple diming protocol, there is no way to issue the required commands to implement the LOR built in functions so they will no longer be available when the LOR equipment is configured to and working with DMX.

Both the LE and Renard controllers daisy chain but they do it differently.  The LE is a DMX device and works by assigning a channel number to the ports.  You define the controller with a starting channel number and it auto assigns the ports starting from that channel number sequentially for all of the ports on the controller.  The entire data stream is read by the controller and passed along to the next controller on the chain so the controllers can be placed anywhere on the chain (or even in a separate branch) and will still respond to the channels they were assigned to.  This also allows you to define duplicate and overlapping channel sets between the controllers.

The Renard controllers IIRC, are positional in their native mode.  They read the from the start of the string to their total channels and remove that from the string and pass on the rest.  Their implementation of DMX works in a similar way.  It appears that they simply took their existing code and adapted it to understand the DMX data stream.  Where it understands the DMX commands and allows you to define a starting address, from what I am to understand, it still removes the channels it is using from the data stream which makes it still somewhat positional and difficult to work with when mixed with true DMX controllers.

While the LOR controllers are quality pieces of equipment, the LE also has superior dimming curves.  While this may not be much of an issue with standard mini's, it can be one when using LED's or a mix of mini's and LED's.  The LE's are also much less expensive than the LOR controllers.  The only down side here is that I doubt that there will be any further coops for the LE this year since we are already too far into the season to get them completed in time. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, »
I started with LOR and it was a great place to start.  I then found Lynx and upon learning that they could be used together as long as the LOR was in DMX mode I used both.  I grew my Lynx controllers because I could get twice as many channels than with LOR for the same money.  I eventually sold my LOR hardware off just to pay for more Lynx stuff.  I stayed away from renard because there are too many variations of hardware and software built / designed by too many different people.  Too many you need to be a good electronics guy to get into Renard.  I say stay small away from pixels for a year until you learn how to work with AC channels, software, radio transmission, scheduling, sequencing, etc., because just this stuff will overwhelm you at first and by learning those items you will gain much knowledge which will help you decide your future direction which will only grow as you gain experience.  Besides, it is nice to have something new added to your show every year.  If you try to jump into everything at first you may get discouraged and give up and we do not want that to happen.  Welcome to the addiction.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline WinchesterXmas

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, »
Good to know about the shimmer, fade, twinkle, etc. functions. I happen to like those features very much. So what you're telling me is if I switch over to Vixen, HLS and some other software I will no longer do these....I will simply be able to fade up and down. This is very helpful to know. Wow, I still have a lot to learn.  The good thing is I still have a few months to decide what direction to go.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, »
Every software has fade, twinkle and a shimmer, but LOR uses hardware to make those functions a little smoother.  IMHO you will find that there are way more things to worry about than that functionality.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline WinchesterXmas

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, »
jnealand, you have very sound advice my friend!! Was thinking the same thing about pixels. My E6804 board isn't going to rot or rust, I'll keep it in a good, dry place.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, »
Good to know about the shimmer, fade, twinkle, etc. functions. I happen to like those features very much. So what you're telling me is if I switch over to Vixen, HLS and some other software I will no longer do these....I will simply be able to fade up and down. This is very helpful to know. Wow, I still have a lot to learn.  The good thing is I still have a few months to decide what direction to go.

Please don't misunderstand what I said.  You can do much more than simple fades with DMX devices.  The actual difference is that with DMX equipment, it needs a steady data stream of commands to perform things like shimmer, twinkle, and even fade where LOR can do much of it with a few proprietary commands.  As Jim said, most of the sequencing software now available has these functions built in and will send the required stream of commands to accomplish it. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving