Author Topic: Weather-proofing DMX Scanners  (Read 1366 times)

Offline johno123

Weather-proofing DMX Scanners
« on: September 22, 2014, »
I was able to pick up a pair of Martin mx-4's and some new bulbs for a steal on eBay that I plan on using under a protected eve or possibly my covered porch. After a couple of unsuccessful searches, I'm curious what any of you do for 'mist-proofing' or very simple weatherproofing for these types of things?

Offline zwiller

Re: Weather-proofing DMX Scanners
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, »
Local amusement park uses something like this:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, »
Don't you need to leave those type of covers open on the bottom for air flow, or is it open some how already? Condensation from something being completely sealed is my biggest worry.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, »
There are vented models but would be concerned with incoming moisture.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I am not aware of anyone really running moving heads season long for Christmas.  For me, pretty sure the Ohio climate would be too cold for that.  Would be tempted to run em for special nights like Trick or Treating and take em down.   

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline johno123

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, »
Yeah, that may be my plan.  I'll have to wait to see how big they end up being and how they fit under the porch. 

Offline caretaker

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, »
I knew someone that was running moving heads in a cold (down to 5 below 0 ) and used a sealed box with a fan and a heater. The heater kept the light at about 70 degrees and to keep moisture out and the fan came on when the temp went above 70.  As I recall it wasn't a real cheap set up, but the lights did work all season.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline johno123

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, »
So the Martin's that I have are more of moving scanners instead of whole head yoke systems.  I ran across Tempest's Thunder Scan enclosures which look a lot more economical.  I may ping them to get a quote...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline johno123

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, »
Well...... got a quote....   6 Grand for the unit, and an extra 3 grand for the fan and heater combo to prevent condensation......

Right......

<fp.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, »
Was hoping you'd luck out... 

If I were gung ho I'd be tempted to make something out of off the shelf stuff.  Cut some material like lexan/acrylic sheets and make a large display case.  Maybe a properly sized fish tank upside down.  Can you upgrade the bulb of the fixture to led so that overheating is not a concern? 

Before I forget, you will likely need a haze or fog machine to pull off the effects that you see with moving heads. 

Offline johno123

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, »
A fish tank is a great idea.  I think I'm going the diy route for this.  I was also able on eBay to pick up a handful of new security camera housings for $5 each that had a built in heater and fan to prevent condensation build up/fog in the housing.  I was originally trying to find some glass punchbowls or something similar and was thinking of building my own housing behind the bowl with those heater/ fan combos as well as adding an extra cooling fan on some sort of thermostat.  The fish bowl/tank idea would be great to get a waterproof cover without having to fab something myself - and they are cheap used!