Author Topic: Mounting Nodes to PVC  (Read 6807 times)

Offline galgon

Mounting Nodes to PVC
« on: September 28, 2014, »
In previous years I had seen discussion about mounting pixel nodes to PVC for easy setup/removal and to keep perfect spacing.  I remember seeing 2 different methods - using a table saw to cut a 1/2 inch strip in the PVC and wedging the nodes in or using a drill press to drill equally spaced half inch holes and pushing the node through. 

Being a few years in now does anyone have any insights on how these two methods hold up over time?  Any advice for someone doing this for the first time?  I want to use the PVC to hang nodes from the soffits under my gutters and to boarder the windows. 
- Joe
Bethlehem, PA

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
Re: Mounting Nodes to PVC
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, »
third option would be to use white pvc with red tape. gives the candy cane effect. mine have been on for 3 years now and no signs of fading or coming loose. I also used the drill press method for my mega tree. taping is a heck of a lot faster and still has the even spacing as long as your nodes are spaced evenly. it  is a lot faster mounting the pvc framing that is for sure. it takes me longer to move my ladder then it does to fasten the pvc. if you do decide to go with the drill press and hole option, I would recommend using a uni-bit or step bit some people call them. you can get them at harbor freight for about 6 bucks. set up a jig on your drill press and set the depth so you don't go too deep. works great but takes a long time! I spent the better part of 3 evenings drilling the 1600 holes for my mega tree. I attached a picture of the candy cane look and of the metal bracket I bent into a hook to hang my pvc. I hang just under 500' of pvc with no screws into the house. good luck
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, »
And if you don't want the "candy cane" look, you could always use white tape on white PVC.  Wrap it tight enough and you will not see the wires either.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
And if you don't want the "candy cane" look, you could always use white tape on white PVC.  Wrap it tight enough and you will not see the wires either.
been using white duck tape since the Smart Strings were released.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, »
I have my window frames wrapped with white electrical tape and it works good.  The first year I did them using white duct tape and it became a problem trying to remove it to repair / replace a node that went bad and heat in your storage are during the summer can make the duct tape start to peel off all by itself.  My first frames I glued together, but my second frames I just put a small screw thru the elbow into the pipe to secure them.  Now I can take them apart if I want or repurpose the parts for a future project.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline egenoup

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, »
Or you can check this out:

and

Offline galgon

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, »
I am leaning toward drilling to get a perfectly straight line. Although taping looks to be a lot easier.  If I do drill should I drill straight through (on both sides) or is it better/easier to just cut a slot down the back of the PVC get the bulbs in and out.
- Joe
Bethlehem, PA

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, »
Drill straight thru from the back with a step drill so that the front will have exactly the hole you need for the node and the back will be a little larger making it easier to push the nodes thru.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, »
I drilled my all the way through using the method jnealand described and I'm on my third year with them.  They were used on my megatree.  On my window frames, I taped them in alternating directions onto pvc pipe using eletrical tape, then I wrapped the PVC pipe in the cheap pine garland you can get at any discount store.  Gave it an "old school" christmas light look at night and was attractive during the day.  I did have one of my arches finally crack into two but I think it was because of the stress that the bend placed on it as I didn't pre-pend any PVC pieces and it was out in alot of hot weather.

You can see a night view of my show here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  Sorry but I didn't do any day time pics of it during the season.  I can snap some pics of the frame in my garage if you want some day time pics.

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, »
Being a few years in now does anyone have any insights on how these two methods hold up over time?  Any advice for someone doing this for the first time?  I want to use the PVC to hang nodes from the soffits under my gutters and to boarder the windows.

I used electrical PVC pipe, the gray stuff, not the white stuff.   Everything is still holding together perfectly!  Even the white plastic paint (house is white) looks as good today as when freshly painted.  The PVC pipe blends in and is not noticeable during the day!

It was a bunch of work "but darn well worth it."

:) joe
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, »
Just to be different, my pixels are mounted on 1/2-inch PVC with zip ties (tie wraps, cable ties, etc.). While sometimes the PVC is glued together, other times its not and I have used trailer wiring connectors to link them electrically and zip ties to hold them mechanically. This way the PVC frame can be taken apart and more easily stored in the other 11 months.

HTH.

\dmc

Offline kjam22

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, »
I built a jig using 2x4's so that I could run the PVC through my table saw to create a perfect channel.  I set the nodes in the channel and it works great, really solid.  I tried taping the first year but my nodes kept falling over and my roof is over 20ft high to very hard to get to.  I haven't taken anything out for this year yet but I will try to get a picture.

Offline abrianbaker

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, »
I just finished drilling 3/4 gray electrical conduit.  Made a jig out of 2x4s for the pipe to sit in and used a 15/32 bit on my drill press to drill holes 3" on center.  I am using the RJ approved 12mm nodes and they fit snugly and are perfectly straight.
This is my fourth year!!!
Smart String Mega Tree
6000 Pixel Net Channels
256 LE Channels
140,000 Lights
Controlled by Vixen 3.1, Xlights Nutcracker
"You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login"

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, »
I just finished drilling 3/4 gray electrical conduit.  Made a jig out of 2x4s for the pipe to sit in and used a 15/32 bit on my drill press to drill holes 3" on center.  I am using the RJ approved 12mm nodes and they fit snugly and are perfectly straight.

I don't see any pics.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, »
We use 1/2" PVC electrical conduit and a 13mm forstner bit.  33/64 works well too.  Make sure you ask for 1/4"-1/2" more spacing than what you'll use, or you'll be adding wire between the nodes in the corners.

Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login