Author Topic: LE Help  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Jugster

LE Help
« on: September 08, 2011, »
I am new (well started early this year however didn't really mess with this until this week) and I have put together 1 Dongle (unprogrammed) and 2 LEs (neither of which work).

So my first LE I got to the power test and nothing happened when I powered up. The LEDs didn't power up. I also somehow put the fuses in incorrectly. Could that be causing the power to not start up?
The second LE I was able to get the 5v and 3,3v lights to come on. I installed the chips from a coop earlier in the year and powered her up. I got the digits to show up. I changed mode to "TST" and pressed Select. The digits went around like they were supposed to however no channel's LED lit up. After a few secondsof the digits going in circles the digits all said 8 and then back to TST.

I know I screwed up something. I need help.

hugethanks

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
Re: LE Help
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, »
Jugster,
Can you post some pictures of both sides of the LEs?
There are some really sharp people here that will be able to help you.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, »
Hi Jugster,

Start with the basics. Slowly and carefully go over each and every part compare the location and orientation along with the right part in the location with the manual. Like look at the larger capacitors and make sure they are the same as the manual (the grey or black stripe). Look at each chip and see if the notch is facing the correct direction. Also with the chips remove them and make sure none of the pins got bent. Next check each solder joint (with a magnifing glass) look for missed soldering, dull soldering (cold solder joint), solder joints touching other solder joints (bridges)

The key is taking your time to closely examine the board. I would guess you will see a problem. It might take more than one, two, three times but it will show up.

If you don't see anything that I would suggest posting pictures if possible. If needed I posted a while back a short how to of posting pictures You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Also here is a link how to take better quality pictures You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Rick R.

Updated links
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, by rrowan »
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Jugster

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, »
I went and did some checks on the soldering. I found some bad connections and also turned around the fuse connectors.
I was finally able to get the 5v and 3.3 v on the board that wasn't working.

I was then getting the same test issue until I watched the video. All the littlepics were installed backwards. I turned them all around and what do you know. It works!!!'

So now I have 2 working LEs without a working dongle (PIC needs to be flashed). Baby steps.

Now I have 2 more LEs to put together but I am still not sure I can get everything up with music by November. Oh well its worth a shot.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, »
Thats awesome

Congrats on getting both working

Its all a learning experience. Good luck on your show

Remember don't get stressed over it. Its a hobby and hobbies are suppose to be fun, otherwise why do it?

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, »
Glad you got it working.  I was going to suggest looking at the orientation of the optos. Thanks to RJ for designing in those sockets!!

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, »
Congrats on the build and double congrats on the trouble shootin
Jeff

Offline TexasStingray

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, »
Great work on getting your first 1 or should I say 2 working. Hope you have lots of fun this Christmas, and make your neighbors envious.
Scott Wanner
TX

Watch my videos

Offline bwhite505

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, »
Good job on getting it going.  If you need your Pic flashed there is a list of members that can do it for you in the wiki.  I can also flash it for you not sure where you are located.  PM me if you need it flashed.

Brian